Unknown part

I was hoping someone could identify this part for me. I've asked a few people and no seems to know what the part is, I thought maybe a large resistor.

Info on it:

100: 63V DC 2%73

Thanks.

Reply to
dasbrow

It's a capacitor by the looks of it. 100nF @ 63v ??

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Jack Schwab

Looks like a high precision capacitor, as used in filters for e.g. modems in the 1960-70.

So 73 might well be the year of production: 1973 And 2% is not bad at all for a capacitor :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

.1 ufd

63 VDC (or pulsating DC) 2% tolerance Polyester cap

73's de Edd

--
Edd Whatley
Reply to

Hi Edd

Interested to know how you arrived at a value of one mic rather than point one. I was assuming that the " 100 " was 100nF, as it is common convention to mark caps in nF's ?? Mic ( no pun !! ) back to you sir ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Typo it's 100k not 100: sorry.

Also anyone think these things are still good? I've had them for like

10 years and they where at a local hospital for like 10 more.

Thanks, Dan.

Reply to
dasbrow

All the same thing - makes no odds. The " K " usually refers to the dielectric type I seem to recall. The important bit is the " 100 ". Caps below 1uF and above 1000pF, are usually marked in nanofarads ( 1000's of picofarads ) so 100 would normally mean 100nF or 0.1uF. However, when caps of this sort of value are marked by coloured stripes, then they are usually in picofarads, so a 100nF cap will be brown black yellow, which equates to

100,000 picofarads, so even if the letter " K " is part of the value, this still makes the marking read 100,000, which is the same as it would be marked if it was striped _ if you see what I mean !!

As far as the caps still being ok goes, the answer to this will be 99.9% yes. Polyester or similar dielectric caps, do not deteriorate. However, the wise man, would run a capacitance meter over them first, just to be sure ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily