Unknown Part on Schematic

Digital part, in block labeled "UART Function". Seems to be a UART with SI N, SOUT and 8 data, 3 address and the typical RD/ and WR/ control lines (al so RD and WR lines which aren't used). Part number could be TL18C7501PM/TL

18C750IPM/TL1BC750IPM... etc., which produces no Google hits, in fact it gi ves the rather odd message, "It looks like there aren't any great matches f or your search" I guess because it returns one hit rather than none.

A crystal frequency seems to be 3.8864 MHz. I don't recall that as a comm on UART main clock rate, but maybe the 8's are sixes? 3.6864 MHz is 192 ti mes 19.2 kHz. Maybe that's the ticket?

Anyway, anyone recognize this part number? It's not important, I'm just cu rious. It's in a 64 pin package (unknown type). I even tried TI18C750 as that reminded me of a TI UART, but Google doesn't find it.

Oh, I found it... TL16C750

Man, the quality of the PDFs are really horrible. This is from before they were produced with text from the source. Doesn't look like photos, but it had to have been scanned in some way.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

I was just going to mention 16C750, but see that you found it. :) That was used for x86 CPU's if I recall correctly.

Reply to
mpm

I don't recall the exact progression, but I think it was easy to switch to the Motorola bus using one signal for timing and another for R/W. It's onl y the trailing edge that is important and if you design your part with a ne gative hold time it will work with just an AND gate for the timing strobe, tie the right strobe to the R/W line and you are done.

Wasn't the 16C750 one of the parts with the fancy dancy deep fifos?

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

with SIN, SOUT and 8 data, 3 address and the typical RD/ and WR/ control lines (also RD and WR lines which aren't used). Part number could be TL18C7501PM/TL18C750IPM/TL1BC750IPM... etc., which produces no Google hits, in fact it gives the rather odd message, "It looks like there aren't any great matches for your search" I guess because it returns one hit rather than none.

The baud rate divider takes 16n clocks per bit. 3686400 Hz gives a max baud rate of 230400 excatly double the 115200 that a PC serial port was historically capable of.

I was going to say that number looks like an 8250 family part number.

Huh? it looks like text and vector graphics here, nothing smudged blurred or pixelated. Maybe they read your comment and uploaded a clean one?

I'm using a SC16IS752 which is internally two 16750 UARTs, but connects to the processor via IIC (and an IRQ line)

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Yeah the 3rd-last digit indicates the device generation

16C750 has 64 byte fifos, up from 4 in the 8250 and 16450, and 16 in the 16550 and 32 in the 16650 16650 also introduced hardware flow control and hardware support for half-duplex hardware like RS485

a somewhat incomplete list but covers the 8250 series.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Talking about the original document I am reading the part number off of.