unidentified component

This looks like a 1N4148 at first glance, orange in colour inside a glass body.Nothing printed on it at all. No band indicating polarity. I can't test it as it's open circuit. It is connected to the gate of a BT136 triac. The unit is a professional flash 'head' used in photographic studios. I am guessing here, but I think it could be either some kind of low value fuse, or surge protector?

Reply to
radio10

Sounds like it could be a diac.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

Many thanks for your fast reply Ron. Just found it in the Rapid catalogue following your advice!

Reply to
radio10

Diac quite likely. They're pretty much interchangeable - normally with a breakdown voltage ~ 30V. It's a trigger device.

Oh - it may indeed be fine, it's open circuit until it triggers.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Many thanks for this Graham. Component identified!

Richard

Reply to
radio10