unassembling external drive enclosure

Hi! Got a problem, which I've been advised to submit to this Group's experienced users. Please pardon me if I made an error posting, also, bear with less than adequate English !

So, a 6/7 years old 80-gigabyte disk in an external USB 2.0 enclosure has failed me. I suspect the drive itself could be OK but the USB interface or other electronics/connectics of the case might have fail (it had been acting weird sometimes)

Now I would like to separate the drive from this enclosure and connect it straight to the MoBoard for testing.

Brand stamped on the pretty, sturdy case is "QPS multimedia" ("made in China"). Disk inside is Maxtor 80 Gb, probably pATA.

Disk + enclosure came as a unit, and the problem is, I can't seem to be able to disassemble it even after removing screws :=( I don't think I've missed any hidden screws.

The disk itself is a 80Gb Maxtor, I assume pATA.

Googling hasn't served very much, nor did Youtube help. The "QPS" brand is no longer manufacturing those articles it seems.

I hope someone can point me to a site with instructions or hints for disassembly.

--
Ninho
Reply to

Ninho be able to disassemble it even after removing screws

Any label hiding a fixing ? heat off with hot air perhaps

Reply to
N_Cook

On Oct 25, 6:21=A0am, Ninho be able to disassemble it even after removing screws :=3D(

I believe (if it's like mine) the screws are under the bottom label. And you can almost bet if it's Maxtor...its bad!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

"Ninho" be able to disassemble it even after removing screws :=(

Does it utilize an external power supply adaptor? My Western Digital MyBook developed bad caps in the power supply.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Reply to
Steph

ok

Same here with my ATMT HD363n -- I've got through two of the supplied power supplies and now using something beefier. "Acting weird sometimes" (partial file copies and file renaming failing) followed by total failure is a good description of the symptoms. I think I'm having a similar problem with my modem/router wallwart.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

What is the make and model of the drive (not the drive itself, but the whole assembly)? I've had to replace the power supplies for two of my external drives, one Iomega and one Western Digital. It's not too difficult to find replacement power supplies. I found very reasonable power supplies on Amazon. I bought Hootoo Laptop Battery Chargers, which seem to work well and have been reliable for over a year. Hootoo makes power supplies for many makes and models.

Cheers, Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Dave M écrivait

That Steph above would be me

"QPS Multimedia" "USB 2.0" "Made in China" and a barcode and serial number is all identification I can find on the case. External dimensions (centimetres) are about 22x13x4.

It appears QPS doesn't manufacture or distribute hard disk assemblies any more.

Good to know, still I'd like to be able to get the drive out of the stupid case first ! As for the power adapter again, its DIN-format connector is a dual

5V/12V output - 4 pins. Does this seem like a standard arrangement ?
--
Ninho

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ninho

Yeah, that's not an uncommon arrangement. My Iomega USB drive has such a connector. If you can't find a suitable power supply, there is another good alternative. First thing you have to do is to determine the type of interface the disk drive has (Parallel or Serial, ATA/IDE, etc.). Then buy an external USB enclosure kit for the drive. The external drive enclosures come with the power supply, the correct interface for the drive and the USB interface to your PC. You just remove your drive from the existing enclosure, mount it into the new enclosure and plug it in. Ebay lists lots of them. Assuming that your hard drive is a 3.5" unit, try this search:

Opening the case can be tedious. First, make sure that all the screws are removed. Be sure to look under any labels on the case; there might be a screw under it. The caase halves might slide apart rather than pop up. Push the halves apart in opposite directions and pry them apart. If the case halves are ultrasonically welded, you'll have to destroy the case to get them apart. No big deal, since it will be discarded anyway, just be careful not to damage the drive inside. Once inside, remove the mounting screws and disconnect the cables. Remove the drive and place it into the new enclosure. Fasten it with the correct hardware. Connect the cables, put the enclosure together, plug it in, and you should be off & running.

Seagate now owns Maxtor, so you'll need to go to

and find the datasheet for your disk drive. That should give you the interface info you need to get the right external enclosure kit. You should be able to find a good enclosure kit on Ebay or Amazon. Prices vary; $15 - $50. Your chioce.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

I should add that you should make sure that the kit you buy does indeed contain all the necessary parts; case, interface, cables and power supply. Also, make sure that it will fit your hard drive - 2.5" or

3.5". One such kit to look at:

Cheers, Dave M

Reply to
Dave M