External Firewire CD Burner

I have a Que Fire, model QPS-525. I would like to remove the Teac CD burner and replace it with a bare Combo drive (CD Read/Write and DVD Read). How do I open that plastic case that encloses the drive? The only visible screws are very small ones on the back that look like they only hold the on/off switch and the firewire ports to a black plastic panel. Thanks.

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

If it is similar to the other Que's that I've had, the "accent colored" pieces (wrap over each side and another on the front) snap off. Once they are off, you'll understand how to *get* them off (catch-22) -- hard to explain, here. (putting them on, you kind of have to *hook* one half and then "stretch" the other half -- of each *piece* -- until it clicks into place)

IIRC, once these are off, the top and bottom halves of the shell separate.

Just remember: plastic breaks!

I can't recall the role of the screws you mentioned. Can't hurt to take them out *first* and see what else loosens up.

You should probably test new drive cabled into the case

*before* reassembling.

HTH,

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Don,

It worked! Thanks for the > > > I have a Que Fire, model QPS-525. I would like to remove the Teac CD

The third "accent colored" piece is on the back, but nothing really different about its being there.

Once they are off, you'll understand

Nope, once I had the "accent colored" pieces off, the sumbitch was still solidly held together. There are three tabs X 2 on the translucent colorless halves, and they come apart in the same way that the other pieces came off. But the front-most tabs on fingers were a real biyatch to open, even though I had already honed my tab-releasing skills on the preceding eight tabs. Holey moley, Batman!

Disassembled without breaking any of it! :)

Didn't have to loosen those screws.

Absolutely! I have been playing with it for (mumble) some time now, and some things work, others don't. The interesting thing is that my internal CD DVD R & W won't read some data Maxell DVD-R's that *it* burned but the DVD reader that is now in the Que Fire *will* read those DVD-R's.

And the whole operation only took like 15 minutes! Yeah, right, April Fool :)

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

Having *done* it, I think you will agree that it is a lot easier to *do* than to describe *how* to do it! :< My language skills are just not up to that sort of challenge.

And, like most snap-together-things, it "makes incredible sense" once you see how it all works.

Ah, my bad. I remembered it was on one *end* and assumed "front" instead of "back" :-( (I don't have a Que to look at)

Ah, OK.

I wonder if the folks who design these enclosures sit around chuckling over how devious their designs are? Maybe getting some pleasure out of knowing how frustrating it is to sort out The Trick without damaging or scarring the product in the process?

OK. I have other external enclosures where two screws on the rear hold the "guts" in place (and the case slides off like a sleeve). Couldn't recall if that was the case, here.

Make sure the Master/Slave/etc. straps on the drive are set properly (look at the previous drive). I have a cute little

*4* CD drive that I pulled from a machine some time ago. I have been wanting to coax it to work in an external enclosure but, I suspect, the command interface that tells the drive (changer) which CD to load is "proprietary". And, if you can't command it to change disks, it's no better than a *single* CD drive! :-/

I keep a variety of CD/DVD drives (R & R/W) to handle the inevitable "read error" problems that seem to crop up. I haven't sorted out whether it is differences in laser "color" (with age), mechanism "slop", etc. Drives are cheap and reasonably small so it's easier to have a few "spares"...

Wanna bet you'll forget *something* and remember it 1.5 ohnoseconds

*after* you snap the outer panels on?? :> (Hint: think about which "side" should be top/bottom before installing the drive)

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis