TV with weak colour

I have a late '80s vintage Philips CP110 Tv , which works well, but the colour is weak, even with the saturation control set to full the picture is only just more 'colourful' than B&W! . is this likely to be something like a low voltage to the RGB stage,or something more serious?

-B

What happens if you drive it with an RGB signal?

--
*Always borrow money from pessimists - they don\'t expect it back *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the A1 control is set wrongly, some of the older CRT types can look 'washed out'. Sometimes, beam limiter problems can give the same effect. A fault in the ACC circuitry will do it, and sometimes, a mishapen sandcastle pulse, which used to be quite common back then. Often down to a resistor in the HOP stage, where the pulse is 'constructed', having gone high.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Let's see you say it works WELL but has no/little color?

Get service literature with voltage and video/chroma waveform test points. Get a DVM and a scope. It's not likely that you'll find the problem without these basic tools unless you want to heat and cool components while the set is on the bench live.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I finally dug this set out again today and it did seem as if the G2 was a bit high, so I lowered the SCREEN control slightly on the Line o/ p tranny and that gave a far more natural colour. Haven't tried it with RGB source, as didn't have one to hand. set seems fine now , cheers, B.

I'm not familiar with the model - and slightly out of touch with TVs in general - but having considerable experience in TV service in the distant past, I can tell you that colour saturation has nothing to do with A1 or A2 controls - which only affect brightness or 'grey-scale' settings. Look for the chrominance amplifier circuitry, that is where the problem is likely to be.

Reply to
Farmer Giles