TV techs - what's this?

Dead Loewe Arcada 8672 ZP (article number 57437 L32). This is a 100Hz 4:3 CRT TV. I think it is from 1997 judging by the "By 634/97/Ro" on the back.

No picture or menu displayed.

Funny black mark on the back of the tube

Not sure if it is a scorch mark or it's supposed to be there. Anyone know?

When plugged in, the two front panel lights come on and the every 5 seconds or so, it sounds like a relay clicks (it doesn't sound like it is arcing) and IIRC the front panel green light goes out for a fraction of a second at the same time. The red light is on and blinks when the remote is used. Nothing displayed on the screen (not even menus).

Any got any ideas? I'm not wanting to fix it myself but want to know a ball park repair cost before I spend any money even to get a quote.

Reply to
Totoblue

tube

line output transformer and / or line output transistor. vertical output chip is known to go sc. And ( sorry ) all this could have cooked the "jungle chip ".

Reply to
Lord Picton from the house of

I think you are a funny guy

No picture or menu displayed.

Funny black mark on the back of the tube

Not sure if it is a scorch mark or it's supposed to be there. Anyone know?

When plugged in, the two front panel lights come on and the every 5 seconds or so, it sounds like a relay clicks (it doesn't sound like it is arcing) and IIRC the front panel green light goes out for a fraction of a second at the same time. The red light is on and blinks when the remote is used. Nothing displayed on the screen (not even menus).

Any got any ideas? I'm not wanting to fix it myself but want to know a ball park repair cost before I spend any money even to get a quote.

Reply to
Frank

I don't see any "funny black mark"? Are you refering to the center ~1/3 of the tube envelope above the neck/yoke that appears to be a darker color? That is a very normal appearance. The gray portion on either side (and presumably below the neck) is a conductive paint called "Aquadag" The tube appears to be "darker" perhaps in that center section where you are looking through the clear glass envelope at the metalization on the inside.

The Aquadag on the outside is grounded (via those "wire braids" wrapped around it) and the outside and the inside of the tube form a giant capacitor which filters the high voltage. Note that "capacitor" can hold a very nasty jolt if you don't properly discharge it (as you remove the big red high-voltage wire).

Sounds like a basic power supply problem. Those things are very tricky to work on even with the proper equipment and information. Definitely NOT a DIY repair job. It is almost certainly not worth as much as it would cost to repair. It may not even be worth as much as it costs to get an estimate. Welcome to disposable consumer goods.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

FBT.

I do not suggest you fix it yourself. Too dangerous and not a trvial fix.

Where are you?

If in Melbourne e-mail me at rudolflATrumatech.com

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

You haven't seen the back of a crt before? I know you'd like to fix it yourself but do you think you have the skills and do you have basic test equipment?

Reply to
Meat Plow

The back of the CRT looks normal.

You will not be able to fix the set yourself without the proper service manual, test equipment, and training.

The flashing lights means that there is a failure in either the power supply, or the one of the scan amplifiers, or in the high voltage section. Proper troubleshooting procedures will be required to service your set. Then you will require a source for the proper parts.

I would suggest you give the set out for an estimate. I can tell you in advance, that the service for your set may be on the expensive side, considering the age of the set.

Note, there are very serious safety issues when trying to service a TV set, and you are not properly trained and equipped.

--

JANA _____

No picture or menu displayed.

Funny black mark on the back of the tube

Not sure if it is a scorch mark or it's supposed to be there. Anyone know?

When plugged in, the two front panel lights come on and the every 5 seconds or so, it sounds like a relay clicks (it doesn't sound like it is arcing) and IIRC the front panel green light goes out for a fraction of a second at the same time. The red light is on and blinks when the remote is used. Nothing displayed on the screen (not even menus).

Any got any ideas? I'm not wanting to fix it myself but want to know a ball park repair cost before I spend any money even to get a quote.

Reply to
JANA

Yes that's what I was referring to. Thanks.

Reply to
Totoblue

I have and had no intention of fixing it myself. That's why I wrote "I'm not wanting to fix it myself but want to know a ball park repair cost before I spend any money even to get a quote."

Thanks for your concern.

I only opened it up to see if there was anything obviously fried. If half of the components were fried, it'd obviously be not worth getting repaired.

Reply to
Totoblue

Sorry I didn't see that.

Like JANA mentioned it could be costly considering the age. With the symptoms you described I doubt you would see anything "fried". If you have the money, get yourself a new set I think you would be happier. :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yeah but I wish I could of earnt money fixing TV'S by assessing "what was wrong" just by "LOOKING" at it

It never worked and it never will, as they say "how long is a piece of string" most of the time you don't know how much the cost is until you are finished.

Sorry I didn't see that.

repaired.

Like JANA mentioned it could be costly considering the age. With the symptoms you described I doubt you would see anything "fried". If you have the money, get yourself a new set I think you would be happier. :)

Reply to
Frank

Depends on where you are going to take it.

I can probably do it for about $250.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

You know there is a recall on some Loewe televisions ?

Reply to
person

Yes, thanks. I plugged in the serial number etc to the web page and this one is not affected.

Reply to
Tom N

LOOKING AT IT involves several things , usually u say to a tech , " can u look at this , its not working and its making a buzzing sound ..."

i`m sure every tech has a LOOK to see if there are any signs of obvious , burnt components , dry solder joints , burnt tracks , corroded connectors , any liquids etc... spilled inside ,

mark k

Reply to
mark krawczuk

LCD ones, I beleive.