TV Image Not Filling Up Screen

I have a Philips 9P5511 large screen TV that shows an image smaller than the screen. It first stared with a jittery image. Now when I turn it on the image is shaped like a sofa cushion (rounded sides but corners still visible). If I leave it on for a few minutes the image stretches to fill the screen vertically but it is still jittery. Someone told me the Vertical Deflection IC was bad so I changed it--wrong. What else could it be? I've examined the circuit boards for signs of damage but everything looks good.

Reply to
vilja

Someone told you wrong. You likely have the common optocoupler problem in the power supply.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 31098 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com...

likely have the common optocoupler problem in

vilja

mains filer cap bad? seems like inadequete voltage on the b+.

like inadequete voltage on the b+.

Reply to
vilja

like inadequete voltage on the b+.

Reply to
vilja

vilja ha escrito:

read it again, the *mains* filter cap. judging by your responses I gather you are out of your depth here. For your own safety I'd recommend having a tech look at this. You could get injured, killed or mess things up beyond economical repair if you go tinkering and guessing.

-B..

On 27 Jan 2007 11:27:05 -0800, "vilja" put finger to keyboard and composed:

It's probably not the changing of channels that causes your B+ to vary, it's most likely the change in image brightness, which in turn results in a variation in the beam current. A higher beam current means that the B+ droops under the extra load. I've seen these kinds of faults caused by a bad filter cap on the B+ line, probably a 160V type. I'd also check the mains filter cap as already suggested.

like inadequete voltage on the b+.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

causes your B+ to

seems like inadequete voltage on the b+.- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
vilja

The location number in the sets that have this problem is 7412, IIRC.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 31507 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

vilja

On 28 Jan 2007 19:54:47 -0800, "vilja" put finger to keyboard and composed:

If your cap is bad, I believe you should see a lot of high frequency ripple on your scope. I generally use an ESR meter. In any case a replacement cap is cheap so I would change it just for good measure.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Changed the cap and still not good. I'll try to the opto coupler next. Thanks.

Reply to
vilja

It worked!!!! I changed the optocoupler and it's working now. I never would have guessed it. Thanks for everyone's help. It's great to have my TV back :-)

Reply to
vilja

Can someone show me which part to buy and replace?

Thanks

Bass

--
bass0r
 Click to see the full signature

you're joking, right? Turn the TV around, look up the model number and order one of those. Then call an installer. You're too stupid to handle connecting the power cord and the signal cable(s).

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Now thats really nice, your surely not very smart! How can you justify an atitude like that?

Now if you weren't hiding behind your anonymous on-line persona, and had the guts to speak to me in person like that I am pretty sure you would either choose not to be rude or would walk away with a hurt jaw.

So now back to the helpful information.

I know WHERE the part is I know WHAT the part is.

What I meant to say/ask is where can I FIND this part on the internet or cross it with a like part from NTE or somewhere else.

--
bass0r
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bass0r

Stupid f*ck. You haven't even posted what make and model tv it is. And where did you get the *insane* notion that it is a universal part responsible for "filling up" the screen? So far all you've narrowed it down is to about fifty million possible parts.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Just use a 12AX7 or ECC83

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:38:51 +0530, bass0r Has Frothed:

Part for what?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Meat Plow