Faulty tv

When the picture suddenly goes on a t.v., what is it usually due to?

Reply to
Lessie

Operation of the power switch.

Are you thinking of fixing a TV? If so, you will be concerned with why yours is broken, not common cases. That said, a common failure is breakdown of the flyback HV winding, a fairly expensive part to replace.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

I don't think this could be it, as there is sound, hence the power switch must be delivering current.

Are there cheap generic replacements? What is expensive 10 Pounds or 100 Pounds ?

Reply to
Lessie

Hmmm. I almost wrote that more symptoms would help narrow the cause a bit.

They may have become generic lately. When I was last looking into it. the transformers tended to have so many taps, different output voltages, and primary inductance values, that they were all different.

If you really want to diagnose your TV's problem, it would help to describe more of what you can see, especially with different input stimulii if they vary the result. For example, how long after turn-on before the picture "goes". What does "goes" look like? Does it ever come back? Is there a change in the sound emitted? Any odd smells? What can you see when you open the cover and shine a light on the circuit board(s)? Do you have any instruments to apply to the task? Are you willing to purchase the schematic for the set?

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com
Above views may belong only to me.
Reply to
Larry Brasfield

That would depend on the OP's desire and resources, would it not? I doubt you know enough to gauge either at this point.

Mr. Terrell's suggestion to take the issue to news:sci.electronics.repair is more appropriate under the circumstances, IMHO. Followups set accordingly.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com
Above views may belong only to me.
Reply to
Larry Brasfield

Art: I agree with your accessment of the OP and his posting. Your reply posting was correct IMHO. It is time for a repair shop to look at it UNLESS the OP can provide more information about his "desire and resources" so we can "guage" both and respond accordingly. Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

the

IMHO,

Reply to
sofie

First of all, I am not the one with the bad television. I simply pointed out that news:sci.electronics.basics was not the place to ask about TV repair and told the OP to ask his questions on news:sci.electronics.repair, and to give the make, model and symptoms in the request.

As far as TV repair I was working in a TV shop in the mid '60s at the age of 13. I moved on to broadcast, Radar CATV and aerospace electronics. I have done things the average tech will never do and I was taught electrical safety when I was 13. I am now 100% disabled for a number of reasons but I still know how to do the work.

Your silly little rant makes you look bad and doesn't reflect well on TV techs in general.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sorry for omitting all the info, but the reason is that the tv has been chucked away, still I wanted to know what it could have been. The engineer had one look at it and said it was not worth fixing, he didn't even open it, seems he new what it was straight away.

It was a 25" Panasonic, but I don't know what model it was. One day we switched it on with the remote and only the sound started, i.e. no picture. That's it, no picture was ever visible from then on, the screen was exactly as if the unit was off, no partial brightness or near the corners, just absolutly dead, as if no power was on.

But this is all academic :-) , so feel free not to waste your time too much...

tnx.

Reply to
Lessie