Atari game console video problems

Hello, I have two old Atari XEGS game consoles (both showing the same problems). When I plug the consoles in and turn it on the image on the TV is vertically scrolling. After leaving the consoles on for about 10 minutes to half an hour the image on the screen stabalises. There is still some vertical scrolling bars (They are about a third of the screen). These bars don't hide the picture, they just lighten whatever is behind it.

I have plugged in one atari and let it warmed up then changed the cables over to the other atari and the image is stable there too which I think means it is the power supply. I have tried getting out my multimeter and opened up the Atari and checked the voltage and amps from the plug when the image is scrolling and later when the image is stable but I'm getting the same readings.

I hope someone here can help me. Thanks, Jim Tink

Reply to
Jim

Check the larger capacitors and replace those that fail an ESR test.

--
1PW
Reply to

What happened when you tried them on another TV? Perhaps you need to find a TV from that era or modify the syncs to the modulator, one transistor mixer / oscillator IIRC.

N_Cook

er

I have tried other TVs and I am sure that it is not the TV. Right now I have the two ataris set up on a tv each. After a while the image stops scrolling and is fine (except for the bars), so it is either the Atari or the power supply.

Reply to
Jim

on

What is the exact output rating on the power supply. Please quote accurately.

--
1PW
Reply to

The power supply: Input: 240V 50Hz Output: 5V, 1.5A, 7.5VA PIN 4, 1, 6: +5V PIN 5, 3, 7: Gnd

(The plug is a 7 pin din)

Reply to
Jim

Excellent Jim. Large value electrolytic filter capacitors are probably inside your power supply. Their aging may have brought about an A.C. ripple component in the otherwise +5VDC output.

If you have any large electrolytic capacitors around the home that could be connected temporarily across pins 4&5 or 1&3 or 6&7, (observe the correct polarity) in the appropriate manner, you might be able to isolate the trouble to the power supply. The caps should have a working voltage of 5 volts or higher and be as large as you can find for now.

Even putting a multimeter across those same DIN pairs of pins while the meter is set to measure A.C. would let you know if you have too much unfiltered A.C. ripple on the D.C. output.

Being able to open up the power supplies might be difficult if they have been glued shut as some were back then. Your observations that things seem to improve as you allow time to elapse while looking at the video tells me that the capacitors are try to "reform" but their age has allowed them to leak too much.

HTH

--
1PW
Reply to

Thanks for helping 1PW, I don't have any capacitors about. I have never done a repair before without simply replacing the part. I have a power pack which is a 4 pin din with 1 pin 5v, 1pin 12v and 2 pins Ground at 2A. I was going to get the plugs to make an adapter from town today and test to see if that fixes the problems. Would this adapter be a suitable replacement? (Obviously only using the 5V pin).

Reply to
Jim

Hello Jim:

Yes. If 5VDC can be supplied at 1.5 Amps or greater, it seems like it will do. Make sure you are providing the appropriate connections to all of the six DIN pins. Check all your wiring changes /several/ times before you "smoke test" your repair.

Good luck,

--
1PW
Reply to

ut

Hi 1PW, The new power supply works a treat.

Reply to
Jim

Congratulations Jim! If the original power pack can be opened without significant damage, the electrolytic capacitors within are likely in need of replacement.

--
1PW
Reply to