TV image distortion

Hi, it's me again, the guy who asked here about a vertical image distortion and I fixed it with your help!

Now, that I gained a little confidence, I wonder if I should tackle another issue I have in this TV set.

1-the image is slightly distorted, I think the bottom is horizontal but the top is slightly tilted, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher on the left side than on the right side. Yes, it is a trapezoid (I believe this is how you call this shape in English)

2-color fringing: the R, G, B do not overlap very well. From the couch (9-10 feet away, this is a 20 inch set) it doesn't bother me, but if I get closer, I see that the B component is slightly shifter UP with respect to G, and R is slightly down with respect to G (but less than B). Can I fix this?

3-finaly, I located the "FOCUS" pot on the back of the high-voltage transformer. I wonder if I should mess with this, it's an old set and probably out of focus.

thanks again EXPERTS!

Reply to
chibitul

If it was a projection set, especially digital, it is doable if the right steps are taken. JVC had projection sets a few years back, when I was still in this business, that allowed owners access to some adjustments that were traditionally reserved for technicians. I got to work a lot on those sets, for reasons that should be apparent... :-)

DTV, 20 inch...other than replacing more capacitors in the vertical section, just to see...don't start adjusting stuff...no good can come from that, in most cases. Some new sets actually allow that much deviation as their standard, or close.

Optimum viewing distance is, or was, 4-10 times the diagonal CRT size, when I was in broadcasting. That's 6' 8" to 19' 6" or so. It is possible that a convergence adjustment is in order, but, again...this is tricky with a DTV, even if you have done hundreds of them..

That's one adjustment that is user-friendly...put a mirror in front of the set, and set it so that the picture is the sharpest. The pot probably has some glue holding it in place. If you don't use something similar afterwards it may drift, especially if the set is moved. I can't remember what we used when I was working at this stuff.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre