Sony TV 35V36 (Chassis AA-2) Intermittent Problem

I found the following problem really have me scratching my head:

  1. TV sometimes would come up like normal, then after a few minutes, lost picture (but with sound). The front panel Red LED would blink on-and-off at 1 Hertz frequency.
  2. Sometimes TV would just have sound on Power-up but never have picture. The LED just blink on-and-off like (1) above.
  3. I checked all the voltages (135V, 9V and standby voltages), all OK.
  4. I put the scope probe on the CRT Heater, and verified that there was the 22V P-P Half-Wave voltage as soon as the power-on button was hit, as indicated on the service manual. However, approximately half-a-second later, it would disappear. The LED continued to blink on-and-off. I did not have time to note the waveform on the IK output from the C-board, because the time that the heater voltage was on was so fast.
  5. During those times that the TV would start normally, the 22V P-P Heater voltage would stay on, the IK would have a 4V P-P waveform similiar to the RGB voltages. Then about 10 seconds later the picture would come on.

I guess my ultimate weapon would be to bring out the I2C monitor on the I2C Bus and see if the IC 351 (CXA2025) is reporting bad IK. But I want to exhaust other possibilities that would cause the above symptoms first, particularly that it shuts off the heater voltage only half-second after power on.

My question to the experts in the group are:

  1. When does the system processor sample the IK status? Is half-second after power-up too early - bearing in mind that the picture would only come up at above 10 seconds, under normal condition.
  2. Could it be that the flyback and the EHT circuit is intermittent, so that there is no IK feedback?
  3. I guess that any components failure in the IK feedback (that includes the transistor Q1790 on the C-board, the 3.9V Zener at its base, the coupling capacitor to the IK-in of IC351, and IC351 itself) can cause that symptom too. But is it likely?

Any other thoughts? Thanks. AI.

Reply to
Appreciate_It

What does the blinking of the LED mean? From i understand you have a service manual.

Reply to
nvic

Sony Blinking Codes

------------------------------- Many of the later model Sony TV's have a built in Self- Diagnosis function. If the timer/standby indicator is blinking, this could be an indication of the problem with the unit. The diagnostic blinking will occur automatically with no action required by you to engage it. The timing of the blinking you see would be as follows: two to eight blinks (depending on the fault) about a third of a second apart, then pauses for 3 seconds, then the two to eight blinks about a third of a second apart again. Here is a list of the problems that might have occurred indicated by the number of blinks. The words in parentheses are those which you will see for each of these faults on a diagnosis screen described later in this article. Unit is dead and there are no blinks---Problem in the standby power section. Might check fuse, R607, Q601, IC601, R612 and VDR601 (should show open) Continuous Blink Once A Second, No Pausing As Discussed Above--- No reply from the jungle IC301 (data bus is busy, shorted to ground or held high), IK video path is defective.

AI

Reply to
Appreciate_It

What is the blink code you see? JUst on, off, at 1 hz continuous?

Reply to
nvic