Trying to repair Sylvania 6842-PEM plasma T.V.

Hi all:

I turned on my TV, heard a loud "pop!", then the TV went into standby mode. If I attempt to turn it on, it goes back into standby. I found a blown capacitor inside the power board, replaced it, and the TV would come on for about 10 seconds, then the capacitor would blow again. I replaced it twice, and it keeps blowing out. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, experience? Apparently, a lot of people are having the same problem (blown capacitor) with this TV. I'm hoping I can fix it myself; I just need someone to help me figure out what the problem is. Thanks a lot!!!!

Al

aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com

The problem is likely that several more capacitors are on their way out. Other possibilities are that you did not ascertain the reason for the failure of the cap; or that it took something else out when it went. If you don't have an ESR meter, your only option is to replace all of the caps in the vicinity and try it again (after checking everything else you can for faults).

Conversely, someone else on the group might have specific information which relates to your tv.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

e.

or

e,

one

ms.aspx/repair/200807/1

If a capacitor blows out, then it is probably having a higher voltage on it than it is rated for. You don't say what the voltage rating was for the original capacitor or what the voltage rating was for the replacement. Did you try to measure the voltage in the 10 seconds before the replacement blew??

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

No, I did not try that - Actually, someone from a different message board recommended this particular replacement capacitor (Radioshack item number

272-134: 0.047 microfarads, ceramic-disc capacitor 50WV DC)- but I have no idea what the rat>>> Hi all:

ElectronicsKB.comhttp://www.electronicskb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/repair/200807/1

aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com

It sounds like your replacement cap has too low a voltage rating. .047 is much too small to replace an electrolytic capacitor. If you can find enough of the original cap to identify it, then you will at least know what you need. It's not uncommon for caps to fail from heat and old age, or a defect in the original cap. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

The original capacitor was a small blue disc, about .5 centimeters in diameter, with the following writing on it:

B 152K 1KV

Does this give you any idea about what kind of replacement to use? Thanks a lot

aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com

The 1KV marking is 1000 V. The suggested RS component was 50 V.

152K suggests 1500pF 10% tolerance

With twenty dollars, You can buy five hundred of them here for your experiments!! :-)

Note the description of the coding in the advert.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Thanks a lot!!

After my last post I did some research on capacitor coding and came up with the same numbers as you gave:

1500pF +/-10% 1000V

I ordered a few of these (at 18 cents each!!) and I will install them next week when they arrive. Hopefully, that will do the trick. I'll post back here and let all of you know if that fixed it..

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. You guys are all awesome!!

aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com

Throw the set in the trash and forget about T.V. all together. It's boring and full of commercials. I got so sick of T.V. after a short while I threw a bowling ball threw my t.v. screen and then finished it off with the bowling ball. I use the space that my T.V. was in and I filled it up with Twinkies and Oreos and orange cupcakes. I usually munch to pass the time.

Fuck what all'yall think. If I want to be heavy, that's my prerogative.

Reply to
Sitre Josephenne Magana

That new capacitor seems to have fixed it - it appears to be working OK. Thanks again for everyone's help. Cheers

aarpay via ElectronicsKB.com