Capacitor identification 2

Removed from a broken (caught fire!) fanless power supply (fanless PC po= wer supplies are NOT a good idea - Yesico was the manufacturer if you wa= nt to avoid them).

It was right next to the AC input, so I assume it's a filter capcitor (t= o remove high frequency noise?)

It says on it 0.33uF, and my multimeter agrees.

But, when I tried to use it in a circuit to limit AC current, it did not= limit. I expected it to limit the current twice as much as a 0.67uF ca= pacitor which I had in the cirucit previously. It limited it a lot less= , as it blew stuff! Replaced blown components in circuit, then put this= thing in series with the original 0.67uF cap. It did not affect the cu= rrent at all.

Is there something other than a capacitor in here? Ohmeter shows infini= te resistance both ways.

--

http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com    http:=
//www.petersphotos.com

An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have.  The older she ge=
ts the more interested in her he is.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

"Peter Hucker"

** Its an X2 class, 275 volt AC mains cap.

Suitable for connection across active and neutral .

Removed from a broken (caught fire!) fanless power supply (fanless PC power supplies are NOT a good idea - Yesico was the manufacturer if you want to avoid them).

It was right next to the AC input, so I assume it's a filter capcitor (to remove high frequency noise?)

It says on it 0.33uF, and my multimeter agrees.

But, when I tried to use it in a circuit to limit AC current, it did not limit. I expected it to limit the current twice as much as a 0.67uF capacitor which I had in the cirucit previously. It limited it a lot less, as it blew stuff! Replaced blown components in circuit, then put this thing in series with the original 0.67uF cap. It did not affect the current at all.

Is there something other than a capacitor in here?

** Nope.

Ohmeter shows infinite resistance both ways.

** Try connecting it across A and N - see if it explodes.

BTW

The lack of LHS indent markers with your post is bad usenet practice.

Fix it.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:56:32 +0100, "Peter Hucker" Gave us:

supplies are NOT a good idea - Yesico was the manufacturer if you want to avoid them).

remove high frequency noise?)

It is a specialized cap specifically for AC entry filtration.

I expected it to limit the current twice as much as a 0.67uF capacitor which I had in the cirucit previously. It limited it a lot less, as it blew stuff! Replaced blown components in circuit, then put this thing in series with the original 0.67uF cap. It did not affect the current at all.

resistance both ways.

The construction of a capacitor will determine the applications for which it functions best. It may also read fine at low voltages but leak straight through at some higher (a mere few volts even) voltage, if it has been breached (read dielectric piercing), that is.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:09:35 +1000, "Phil Allison" Gave us:

Good answer, but will you ever learn how to post properly in Usenet?

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

"Phat Bytestard"

** I already am.

Go f*ck yourself - shit head.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

limit. I expected it to limit the current twice as much as a 0.67uF capacitor which I had in the cirucit previously. It limited it a lot less, as it blew stuff! Replaced blown components in circuit, then put this thing in series with the original 0.67uF cap.

So you hooked it up in series with for example a 500W load and the load drew full current?

I guess that could explain the fire :)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

power

ot

less,

thing

at

What?

My post was the original in the thread, there are not meant to be indent= markers you twit. It is YOU who failed to indent what you quoted from = me.

--

http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com    http:=
//www.petersphotos.com

I have a photographic memory that was never developed.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

power supplies are NOT a good idea - Yesico was the manufacturer if you= want to avoid them).

(to remove high frequency noise?)

not limit. I expected it to limit the current twice as much as a 0.67uF= capacitor which I had in the cirucit previously. It limited it a lot l= ess, as it blew stuff! Replaced blown components in circuit, then put t= his thing in series with the original 0.67uF cap. It did not affect the= current at all.

inite resistance both ways.

Ah, maybe it's broken then. The fault with the power suply was at the o= ther side of it though, a couple of 2 watt resistors look to have overhe= ated, causing meltdown of quite a few surrounding components.

--

http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com    http:=
//www.petersphotos.com

I met this gal in a bar and one thing lead to another.  I said, "Let\'s g=
o back to my place."
She said, "Oh, do you have cable?"
I said, "No, but I have some old ropes that should do just fine."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

limit. I expected it to limit the current twice as much as a 0.67uF capacitor which I had in the cirucit previously. It limited it a lot less, as it blew stuff! Replaced blown components in circuit, then put this thing in series with the original 0.67uF cap.

Har har. Actually 15mA.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Mixed emotions are when your mother-in-law drives your new Ferrari off the cliff.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

"Peter Hucker"

What?

** See - no indent markers again.

My post was the original in the thread,

** But no marker appears when I reply.

That is a VERY RARE event.

It MUST be your software.

there are not meant to be indent markers you twit.

** Grow up - cretin.

....... Phil.

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes there are. I indented the "see if it explodes line", which can stil= l be seen above, indented one more level than my "what?" However you fa= iled to indent anything at all.

.

ROTFPMSL! So when YOU make a reply with YOUR software, you claim it's m= y fault somehow? All your software has to do is take the text of my pos= t, add markers to each line, then let you add text unindented at the end= . Not very hard is it? I bet you're using Outhouse Distress [checks he= aders] OHO! I was correct. Now how did I know that?

--

http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com    http:=
//www.petersphotos.com

He was so unlucky . . .
Last week, his inflatable doll ran off with his airbag.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

"Peter Fucker"

Yes there are.

** You must be hallucinating.

There is none above these very words.

ROTFPMSL! So when YOU make a reply with YOUR software, you claim it's my fault somehow?

** Cos it happens with NO OTHER POSTER .

YOU FUCKING TENTH WIT !!

Hope that stupid X cap blows up in your ugly face.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison