Trouble with Sony Tape Recorder SLV-E40

Hi all,

My tape recorder stops functioning occasionally, i.e. it does not eject, play, rewind or forward, until I open the bottom cover and rotate the main pulley which drives the big pulley.

Also I can not get the tape status indicator any more. Can anybody please help. Thanks.

Reply to
bigdaddy

check and clean the mode switch, also check and replace both reel motion sensors.

--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

Thanks for reply. I found out that the counter is ok, the button on remote control has to be pressed hard

As regards the mode switch. I have no idea where it is. I would appreciate it very much if you could help me a bit more to locate this, or if I could download the schematics from Internet.

After locating it, with what one should clean it and what other parts needs to be cleaned while I am at there.

Regards,

Reply to
bigdaddy

bigdaddy: The "counter" has nothing to do with the reel motion sensors.... the counter actually counts control track pulses from the A/C head and converts them to hours/minutes/seconds. If the reel sensors are indeed bad, they can produce the symptoms you described...... check them and replace them as neccessary as the reply post by Sofie advised you to do. This is not a "newbie" repair item.... maybe you should find a small shop that still does reasonably priced VCR repairs or find a technically inclined and VCR repair experienced friend to assist you. electricitym . .

Reply to
electricitym