Sony EVS9000E tape riding over pinch roller in Fast Forward

Does anyone have experience with the Sony EVS9000E? This is a very elaborate Hi8 edit deck. The deck is completely different to the EVS1000, EVSC3 etc.

Original fault: A split in the supply spool teeth. I've seen this before and replaced the supply spool. This does involve removing the back tension band, I carefully marked its position and refitted in the same position exactly.

The machine worked but would occasionally damage a tape in play or F-Fwd. The tape could be seen to ride up over the top of the pinch roller.

At great expense I replaced the pinch roller. This made the situation better, but still sometimes the tape will ride over the top of the pinch roller in Fast Forward. It can take the tape right off the pinch roller and head exit guide, and it then sits in an illegal position bypassing both of these. Ejecting from this condition would of course wreck the tape.

I have noticed when in Fast-forward that the tape sometimes moves in a slightly less than smooth fashion, and it may be this which is allowing the tape to get too high on the guides and then go of the top.

In case I had set the back tension somehow too high, I slackened this off by the tiniest fraction of a mm, but the problem persists.

If anyone is familiar with this mechanism, please contact me on snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com

Many thanks for any help.

Colin

Reply to
Colin McCormick

Further to this, a video clip of the problem can be seen here:

3MB size, MPEG2 file.

Col> Does anyone have experience with the Sony EVS9000E? This is a

Reply to
Colin McCormick

Insufficient torque on the take up reel can cause this type of problem. I've seen a lot of VCRs (although not this one) where the slip clutch becomes too loose. Incorrect back tension is another possibility (try a slight increase in back tension). Have you confirmed that its alignment is ok? Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Andy

I had independantly located the problem. Yes, it was insufficient back tension. When replacing the supply spool, I had tried to put the back tension band back in exactly the same loaction but was a fraction of a mm out.

My word 8mm is sensitive to back tension! Much more so than Beta.

Thanks for your help, you've confirmed my diagnosis.

Regards,

Colin

Andy Cuffe wrote:

Reply to