Trinitron Monitor Broken - Made Clicking Noises, Now Broken

I've had a Viewsonic PF790 CRT monitor for about five years now--beautiful thing. Trinitron tube. Great picture quality.

About a week ago, it started to flicker once or twice every few minutes, making a clicking noise each time. The interval between flickers grew shorter until it became nonstop, and the picture disappeared.

Ever since then, every time I turn it on, I get no picture at all, but I hear a constant grinding noise that sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the monitor chassis.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can't find a CRT on the market with even remotely comparable picture quality.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to
devnull17

Sounds like you had a simple cracked solder joint but ignoring it has caused something to fry. It can still be repaired but you'll have to find someone with some experience working on monitors to have much of a chance of fixing it. If you open it up you may well see the solder joint with evidence of arcing on the bottom of the board, that could provide some clues. There's a very remote chance that resoldering that will fix it but usually a problem like that takes out parts in the horizontal scan circuitry or power supply.

I had a PF790 for a while, it was a pretty decent monitor, the Sony G520 I have now has a significantly better picture though and supports higher refresh rates, should be lots of other comparable monitors on the market though Viewsonic is the better end of the low priced ones, they're just not the most reliable.

Reply to
James Sweet