Is my monitor really broken?

I recently acquired a Sun GDM-90w10 (rebadged Sony w900) 24" widescreen crt. It is very old (manufactured Dec '97), but it was in remarkably good condition and worked beautifully.

Tonight I returned home and switched it on, to find that while it made the clicking noises that it usually makes as it starts up, it didn't come on. Instead of the tube powering up with the typical "bong" noise, it made an extra click noise, and the green light switched off, to be replaced by the light next to it blinking orange. This LED has a symbol that appears to be a crossed out lightbulb.

When I bought the monitor, there were no manuals for it, and the best I could find on the internet was a spec sheet, so I have been unable to find what this flashing LED means.

I do not believe that there should be anything physically broken in the monitor, as (to my knowledge) it hasn't been moved since I used it last week, but I can't be sure.

Did my monitor just meet it's inevitable end and wear out? Can anyone help? Is all hope lost?

Reply to
haddon

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Reliability: 110K Hours MTBF (mean time between failures) according to the web page

2006 - 1997 = 9 years 9 years * 365 days/year * 24 hours/day = 79K hours

So... it's about time it failed, if it were on 24/7. If it wasn't then it's still young, in theory. In any case, try to find out what broke, and what it would take to fix it. 24" monitors are not cheap to come by!

Reply to
Jim Land

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha escrito:

href="

">spec

sounds like protection possibly due to a fault in the line stage. desolder the HOT and connect a 100w bulb c-e- see what happens.

-B.

in my humbile opinion, certain sonys just dont last long.

I had a trinitron monitor last for long period of time. VERY long.

then ive had some that only last a year or two.

seems the newer the monitor is, the less long it lasts. quality has gone down drastically over the years.

href="

">spec

Reply to
Mike

href="

">spec

Try unplugging it for ten minutes, then try again.

If it still doesn't work try it on a different computer and see what happens.

Do you hear it crackle when it powers up, will static cling make paper stick to the screen, if not did it used to?

-Landon

Reply to
lj_robins

href="

">spec

The monitor crackles normally, but it doesn't seem to make any static. It sounds like it tries to turn on, but a breaker/relay clicks at the last minute.

Reply to
haddon

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha escrito:

href="

">spec

do the bulb test and post results. have you measured any of the power supply lines? you'll have to give us a few more indications if you expect useful suggestions

Flashing yellow is usually standby mode. as if there were no signal present. I have a GDM-FW900, Though anfter looking at yours i think its a different animal. Im selling mine, its up on ebay right now. item # 130046899689 I had a few bad caps in the shutdown circuit

Reply to
<someone

The extra "click" you heard was the AC main power relay being powered off.

I don't know why nobody has suggested it (I am NOT a repair professional, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but if was a TV, you'd have a bunch of posts telling you that some protection circuit had kicked in and that, given the age of the unit, perhaps you'd be wise to check your electrolytic caps in the power supply. Like a television, your monitor has a protection circuit which monitors various voltages. If it detects either over or under voltage (or DC voltage in some cases) it shuts down the unit to avoid damage. There's a fair bit of heat generated inside these monitors, and electrolytic caps DO dry out over time... If your SMPS voltages are all okay, a shorted HOT would definitely give you similar symptoms.

If anybody has a schematic for you, it will save you countless hours.... but I know Sun isn't that forthcoming with hardware manuals.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Some also have a shutdown that detects lack of deflection, most monitors have separate HV and horizontal circuits so if the horizontal deflection transistor is shorted, cold solder joints, etc the monitor will have similar symptoms.

Reply to
James Sweet

Good point Afra

I think I've seen a couple bad 1 ohm resistors in the power supply cause this. They're at the rear corner of the machine.

Mark Z.

Thanks mark.. Anything more specific on this 1 ohm resistor? location # perhaps?

i saw a few other posts of people complaning of the same problem, with no reply's of course, in other fourms on the web. Ive put my Voltmeter on the outputs at the relay, i get 0.01 volts DC not enough to trip any protection circuit's. thats why im seeking answers more like what mark has posted. Known problems that ocassionally rear thier head.

I dont have the sony database of tips anymore cause I no longer subscribe, (i just dont do repairs like i used to) but perhaps there is a sony bulliten on this issue?

Reply to
<someone

Hi :

I have some technical PDF for gdm-w900 and similar. If you need I could send to you (I think it's the same monitor).

I wish you can repair it.

If you finally decide not to repair it I would ask you about the possibility to buy you one of the internal circuits from this monitor, the D Mount or D Block circuit (Deflection circuit). My monitor still works but I have a problem with this circuit and it's burning fast.

Please tell me if you want the PDF files.

Best regards,

Francesc

href="

">spec