treadmill

I have a used Spirit SL 188 Programmable treadmill which from time to time runs fine, responds to input from the control panel, and then stops. The duration of its operation seems inversely proportional to the speed at which it is asked to operate. When it stops, it remains stopped for days and weeks, with no response to hitting the reset button, pulling the plug and replugging the unit. Abracadabra, plug it in and it starts! The manufacturer tells me over the phone, based on my description of the above symptoms, that it needs a new control board which they will send me for $300. I cannot find anyone local (Albuquerque) who wants to deal with it, because it is 11 or 12 years old. There is no apparent wear or tear and it seems nuts to me that this thing can't be fixed. Any advice?

Reply to
nearysr

Like buy another one? Try eBay. Personally, these things sell for less thatn $50 used, and it is hard to say if even that may be too much.

Reply to
PeterD

I would be worth inspecting for bad solder connections.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

On Dec 5, 4:52=EF=BF=BDpm, Sam Goldwasser wrote:=

treadmill which from

n it

me over

cannot

t seems

is

n the

FAQs.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for the advice. Will do. Steve N., Albuquerque.

Reply to
nearysr

Once in a while, I see treadmills at the Goodwill store.I have tried a few of them out before.They seemed to work ok. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

the

If you are going to play with it, check all the connectors too. Remove and replug them all.

Reply to
PeterD

Some of those treadmill control boards have a battery (or batteries) in them, I have seen them before..Check yours out.Although I doubt if that would have anything much to do with your treadmill problem. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:25:33 -0800 (PST), nearysr put finger to keyboard and composed:

Is the display blank when this happens? If blank, then it would appear to be a power issue, otherwise I'd be looking at the motor (brushes?) or the motor control board.

My treadmill (different brand) has a safety key which kills the power if you fall off the belt. It consists of a plastic key which you insert into the control panel. This key is linked to your body via a clip on the end of a string. It may be that the keyswitch contacts on the control board are dirty.

Here are some troubleshooting tips:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar