Toshiba M-5900 VCR transformer really hot.

I've got a Toshiba M-5900 VCR and it's transformer is turning finger burning hot.(Some screws darkened also)

Since the 2SD1273 transistors were making noise, I replaced them with TIP121, with a metal case. The collector got shorted to ground.

At the repair shop, they changed resistor fuses and STK regulator.

The VCR works perfectly apart from that.

At least, the VCR components aren't dead, the PSU wasn't plugged to the rest when it blown.

Should I replace the 2SDs if I can get some 2 for 7$ + shipping? The channel selector near the preset tuner is also producing whine.

What I'd like to know is if other M-5900s are producing whine near PSU and preset tuner(door on the top), and if it's really hot over the PSU.

Reply to
Antoine Desch?nes

take your vcr back to the repair shop and have them "fix" your vcr with the factory original parts.... be certain to mention the whine/noise and excess heat that you have noticed. electricitym . . .

Reply to
electricitym

Repair warranty expired, was 90 days. It was whining before I sent it to repair. Maybe I could've sent it, but I didn't want to wait an other 10 months for the repairs. I dropped it on the corner the day I got it from the repair shop. Loading and eject motors (same model) started making noise, and I replaced the loading one who stopped the VCR from working correctly. The eject motor is still the old broken one(But works)

EVERYTHING works correctly, except that adjustments need to be done : HiFi, even when the HiFi tracking meter is on max, sounds as if an inductor was in the signal path(More treble in mono track). Picture is grainy, there are some discolored areas on the video head, and some kind of sand in the stripes.

There's also something strange(For a 198x VCR), there is some kind of buffer in the VCR : It starts recording when I press REC, and the tape isn't even loaded. It loads a couple of seconds after. When I press stop, it continues to record for a couple of secs and then stops.

I guess I can change every caps, resistors and diodes > take your vcr back to the repair shop and have them "fix" your vcr with

Reply to
antdes45