Toaster oven thermostat

Just for fun, I'd like to fix my old toaster oven. It was not very old and in very fine condition except for a burned out thermostat.

Its a Magic Chef model ctb650m, and the thermostat is a mechanical type, with the following written on it:

Keensound 125V 12A KS198 1300

I have written to the MagicChef address on the user manual but so far received no reply. I think they may be out of the business. I wonder if there are any suggestions on how to obtain a replacement or equivalent thermostat. Even a similar one that I could rig in, even if temperatures were off a bit, would be fine.

Thanks, Guy

Reply to
badgerboy

Keensound Industries Limited

Established in 1987, Keensound is a manufacturer and supplier of thermostats. Our main products are thermostats and metal parts for household electrical appliances such as steam irons, waffle makers, water heaters, cooking boilers and air-conditioners.

--
.
Reply to

What happened to the thermostat?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

The contact on the bimetallic strip was completely burned thru, and the strip itself seems to have been deformed from heating so that it no longer makes contact with the other side of the switch, at any temperature setting. Do you think this can be bent back into shape and fixed?

Thanks, Guy

Reply to
badgerboy

Not a good idea. I'd try to find a replacement or another thermostat that could be made to fit.

--
.
Reply to

The strip could be bent back into shape but it would be difficult to replace the contact(s) reliably.

But my concern would then be that something caused it, like a failed heating element shorting out as it died. The contacts on toaster oven thermostats normally last the life of the oven.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Thanks for the input,

Well, an ohmmeter test and operational test of the elements seem to show they are good. Each pair comes out to about 15 ohms if I remember, and applying power to the elements causes them to heat up and glow red.

I looked at the website suggested by Homer, and Keensound doesn't show this model thermostat among their current products. I sent them an email asking about it and possible distributors, but haven't received a reply yet. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks, Guy

Reply to
badgerboy