Black & Decker Toaster Oven: Toast Quality Decline

Howdy,

I am on my third B&D toaster oven. On all three, the toast knob must be turned further and further until toasting is no longer an option. On this third one, I'm already to where I have to pull the darkness knob out and bypass the physical restraint at turning it further dark. We're JUST about to have to start running the toaster twice to get decent toast.

  1. any fixes that anyone knows of?

  1. can't figure out if it is decline of timer or decrease in heat output of calrod toasting elements. [Forgot to measure time at different settings when the unit was new.]

  2. anyone know if the toaster setting is:
3a. direct timing at full blast or 3b. some thermostat's detection of a top-end temperature?

Thanks in advance, Rick Richard - Ganado TX - Note: remove UNO in ADDR to reply

Reply to
usenet4fniUNO

Kim Sleep

Yah it's a heated bimetalic timer. It's easy to get behind the controls. One screw in the bottom of the left side, pull the bottom out and pull down the side comes off. You'll find the toaster timer has 2 adjustment screws. The left one seems to be range and the right high limit. I would try backing out the right screw and seeing if that increases the darkness. BTW be cautious of all that rigid wire running around it's all hot. I repaired one of these that the door switch had gone bad on. Replaced it with a standard double pole. The client called me the next year and said it had caught on fire. Turns out the phone rang and she plopped her grocery bags in front of the toaster. The toast lever got jammed down, When she got back off the phone her groceries were on fire! She gave me that burned toaster and I use it to heat non food items now. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

Replace it.

Plan on doing so at least every 18 months. That or buy a higher quality oven.

Reply to
TCS

It is the thermostat that either has to be adjusted, or replaced.

Considering, next time you buy a toaster oven, there are some very good ones compared to the B&D. You should do some shopping around, and investigate what other consumers have rated these at. Then you go from there.

--
Jerry G.
=====

Better yet, buy just a plain toaster. Toaster ovens usually do a poor job of toasting.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

ones

investigate

Hard to say which I like better, I have a plain toaster because they take less counter space but I've used toaster ovens too and they're certainly more versatile. Seems like the ones I've used toast as well as an average conventional toaster.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have a Black and Decker toaster oven with an electronic control for the toast. THe mechanical door switch failed such that opening the door di not shut it off. A small copper spring finger failed from metal fatigue because it was being bent pretty far each time the door was opened and closed. I was able to repair it with a piece of copper and flexible wire. I was not happy about the original design.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

dark.

_______________________ It confounds me that nobody replying here came up with the concept of routine(weekly or monthly) cleaning of the inside of toaster ovens. We own a Delonghi which has toasted consistently well over the last year except those times when I was lazy and neglected to clean the inside walls and rack for more than two months.

Save yourself the cost of a new oven and get on a schedule of cleaning the thing and see if your toast(and baking!) times don't remain more consistent.

This country amazes me: The filter on a vacuum clogs up, and we throw it out for a new vacuum. The TV screen gets dusty, and we sell or throw out the set thinking the picture has gone bad. Same for toaster ovens!

Maintenance, people, please! It saves you money and all of us resources in the long run.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster