Looking for120vac thermostat and relay

I'm putting together a circuit to turn on a 120v motor when the temperature falls to 36*F.

I want a temp sensor that closes at 36*, 3 or 4 degree differential is fine. It can be adjustable. It must have 120vac rating. Must be able to waterproof. I have been buying $60 thermostats that last several years but there must be something cheaper to do the job. I also want a relay whose coil will be energized when the thermostat contacts close. The relay contacts must be able to drive a 1HP motor. Low cost is a plus. My undying gratitude will be liberally dispensed.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Swimming pool supply store. My pump controller turns on the pump when temperatures approach freezing. ...Jim Thompson

Thanks, I'll look into those. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I looked, they will do the job in one fell swoop, but cost is to high. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The more durable (typically) sort of water-sensing thermostats (aquastats), since you specify "must be able to be waterproofed" have a capillary and sensing bulb to stick in the water and the rest of it is located in a dry location. The dry location can be something like a NEMA exterior rated box if it's more "putting it out in the weather" rather than "putting it underwater" situation. Attempting to directly waterproof a thermostat rather than using a rated enclosure would make your frequent failures non-surprising.

The surplus place I had gotten some nice heavy-duty relays from is now out of them, too bad. That's surplus. Try to find one rated for MORE than 1HP at 120 (or rewire the motor application to 240, where it will be easier to find a relay rated for more than 1HP at 240V) for longer relay life.

Ecnerwal

Roll your own. With one of those National Temp Sensor chips, and drive a relay.

And value your own time. I'm finding it's often more economical to buy than spend a lot of time fabricating your own gimmick. ...Jim Thompson

In Arizona ?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Yes, it's desert, which can get _amazingly_ cold at night. I'm in So. Cal, and a couple of winters ago I actually saw ice on the sidewalk one morning. Luckily, being a Minnesot'n, I know how to walk over ice; I saw some passerby almost fall on his butt, and I almost felt guilty for finding that so amusing. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Google Klixon.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When I needed a fail-safe thermostat to keep my greenhouse frost-free, I used a refrigerator thermostat to operate a relay which switched on a fan heater. The adjustable control could be mounted in a waterproof container if necessary, with the copper sensing tube outside. If the thermostat fails it will usually go open-circuit, cutting off power to the relay, whose normally-closed contacts then switch on the heating.

FWIW, this system has been operating for nearly 12 years without problem.

--

Jeff
Reply to

That's basically what I'm doing. I'm using this thermostat,

|2E399&N=0&sst=subset and drive a relay that turns on a water pump. I use the heat in the water to keep my greenhouse from freezing. I put the thermostat in a pvc pail with a lid and the bulb slips through a hole. The thermostat never gets wet or even damp, but I'm on my fourth in 15 years. I was looking for a cheaper setup to make for my nephew. So far nothing the only thing I have found is the swimming pool freeze protection thermostat at $32 with free shipping. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

That is a thermostatically controlled 15 amp outlet. Turns on at ~35 degrees F, and off at ~45 degrees. $12.95

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

That is very close, The differential is to much. I may but one just to see if I could modify it. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

|2E399&N=0&sst=subset

I thought spares were cheaper in the US than here in the UK! See here (£1.00 ~ $1.63):

May be worth the shipping cost...

--

Jeff
Reply to