Thermal sensors in AV gear

I've got a Denon 5-channel receiver that has a fan on the heatsink. The fan doesn't run and the unit overheats, unless I short the heatsink fan test pins -- then the fan runs at low speed and the heat is controlled.

On the heatsink are a couple of temperature sensors that look like junior-sized TO-220 transistors, except they're grey and have two wires for legs. The two of them measure differently (resistance vs. heat), but I don't know which one (if either) is faulty.

How do I test these things, and where do I get replacements? The numbers on them don't look much like part numbers.

thanks, Isaac

Reply to
isw

they are either PTC or NTC.. positive or negative Temperature coefficient devices. they both should be with in 10% of each other at rome temperature..

i am only taking a guess here. you could have a silicone type one also.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5