CPU thermal compound

I had to remove the large heatsink and fan from my (P4) CPU to vacuum out the dust. The thermal compound had dried out and gone hard. It was grey in colour. I have white IC/transistor heatsink compound - will that do? Or is there a dedicated product for CPUs?

Thanks for reading...

Allan

Reply to
Allan

FWIW, I always like Arctic Silver compound recommended for CPUs. TechBuy is where I have bought it.There must be others who have it.

Also

I don't think I'd risk generic white stuff meant for small ICs\transistors considering the heat a CPU throws off and the quite small heatsinks they come with.

PH

Reply to
Peter Howard

The std white thermal compound will work just fine on any normal cpu , unless you try to do something silly like over clock..

Reply to
atec77

or try something to soften the caked hs compound ie a drop of turps or metho then respread it

: >> Thanks for reading... : >>

: >> Allan : >

: > FWIW, I always like Arctic Silver compound recommended for CPUs. : > TechBuy is where I have bought it.There must be others who have it. : >

: >

: > Also : >

: >

: > I don't think I'd risk generic white stuff meant for small ICs\transistors : > considering the heat a CPU throws off and the quite small heatsinks they : > come with. : >

: > PH : >

: >

: The std white thermal compound will work just fine on any normal cpu , : unless you try to do something silly like over clock..

Reply to
Ed

not real good for the properties if its the grey pad.

Reply to
atec77

Mitch...

Reply to