The Panasonic plasma and the dreaded 14 blinks

Hello all-knowing ones..... Heard a slight "pop" from my TC-P42S30, then went black. Turning it back on yielded a black screen, the red power light blinking 14 times. Tried a couple of fixes mentioned online (removing remote batteries then pressing some remote buttons/holding the power button on the set while pressing one of the "up" buttons/leaving set unplugged for 24 hours) No change other than the red power light is on but no longer blinks.Not really skilled enough to open the back of the set. Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mikespo

You're probably looking at driver board replacement, but you'll have to open it up, just to check the fuse.

If you're not comfortable with this, consider taking it to a listed service location.

Plasmas are no longer in production.

RL

Reply to
legg

14X on that series of Pannys generally means a blown SN sustain board.

What you can try is to take the back cover off and remove and replace every philips head screw on the SN board (left side from behind) making sure they're tight. These screws tended to back out and cause a floating ground issue. Just removing and replacing might get it going. If tightening works (long shot), then I would remove the SN board completely and clean the chassis pan of arcing carbon and replace all the screws. Check the ground pads on the board, they're probably arced as well. I used to flux these and reflow the solder so they ground well to the chassis.

I used to rebuild these SN boards in the old days. You'll most likely find shorted mosfets (could be IGBTs, don't recall) and gate driver ICs. These are all surface mount and not easy for an amateur.

Best bet if you want to keep it is to buy an SN board from a seller who will guarantee it's actually good. Be careful removing the ribbons from the screen to the board. Tear just one a bit and the TV is junk.

Reply to
ohg...