the 27" slyvania tvs, any good?!

hi all...

the two slyvania 27" tvs, are they any good?!

I have just bought my xbox, this month, and i have a 20" sylvania tv currently, but I note that the local Sears store has two 27" sylvanias for sale for $180 and $220. One is round tube with s-1 video only and the other is flatscreen with Componet inputs as well as s-1 video inputs.

I like the size of a 27 inch tv, alas these sets, made by Funai, do not seem to have many reviews on them on the net or anywheres else, maybe they are new.

but are they any good, for quality of picture or quality of the repair needs?

I know that there is that row of sets in sears, all showing the very same promo picture, and none of the sets seen to be adjusted properly, for instance, i note that the more expensive componet-ready input set, seemes to have a poorer picture, perhaps they compromised becauase of the extra inputs for HDTV! or, maybe it is not adjusted properly! I have read how certain stores, for instance, "doctor" their low end tvs to have the worst picture quality settings, so that people will only look to buy the more expensive tvs!

does anyone here have any opinion whether i should just stay with my currant sylvania, or go for one of these two sets, and which one?!

thanks...freestone

Reply to
freestonew

Sylvania has long been out of business, the name was first sold to North American Philips which also owned the Magnavox name. NAP later sold the name to Funai which may have sold it to some even lesser quality brand.

Basically they are just like the rest of the low cost junk that is all over the market. Add the fact that it has no warranty outside of Sears if you buy it from them and what do you think?

Reply to
dkuhajda

Anything Funai is about the worst of the worst. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I know.....but I have a strange eye problem that seems to be unfixible. There are many tvs out there that give to me an instant eyestrain, and this strain last for hours and hours. There are tvs that even if the screen shows a lot of motion and i watch for hours, there is no strain whatsoever!

the sony brands give to me one of the worst of this, but the two sylvanias that i have owned are perfect for my eyes.

from what little watching that i have done in best buy, today, the three toshibas also exhibit this eye strain thing!

i might have to be only suited FOR the sylvania!!

oh dear....

freestone

Reply to
freestonew

If those Sylvanias were more than a few years old, they were probably made by Philips.

Toshiba TVs are made by Orion (another garbage brand). Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

They're garbage, Funai is the worst of the worst. You may get lucky and it may last for a while, or it may fail after a year, it's a gamble. It will certainly not be worth paying a tech to repair it if it does.

Reply to
James Sweet

Perhaps the brightness or contrast are set too high on the sets that give you eyestrain? It's often cranked way up out of the box.

Reply to
James Sweet

All of them?

Reply to