Test AUX input on Kenwood KA-5700

I use my old KAA-5700 to drive some other speakers off my Yamaha RX-V995. This was working but recently it stopped. How do test if it is the Output of my Yamaha or the Kenwood that is failed?

Reply to
OldSchool

Try the output from the Yammy into a different input on the Kenwood - " tuner " or " tape in " for instance.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

That works. I pushed it through the Phono and it works but sounds like crap. Sounds like the Aux on the kenwood is out. Any quick fixes?

Reply to
OldSchool

They all work but sound like crap. If I just run my Kenwood amp and tuner through the system (without any link to the yama) it sounds fine. Sounds like my 25+ year old amp finally boosted it's last signal.

Reply to
OldSchool

Are you saying that all of the other inputs BAR the " Aux " work ok when driven by the Yammy, but sound poor ? That is an odd state of affairs, indeed. Whilst it will sound crap if you run a line level output from the Yammy into the Kenwood's phono inputs, due to the fact that a line level signal is about 100 times what the phono input is expecting, the other inputs should work just fine. Tuner, CD, Tape In, and Aux, should all have similar sensitivities, and usually, impedances. Does your Kenwood have " Pre Out - Main In " RCA jacks on the back, linked by patch pins ? If so, try the Yammy's line out, into the " Main In " Jacks.

Please clarify exactly what the situation is regarding using the other inputs on the Kenwood. I might then be able to get a better idea of what to suggest you try next.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I'm thinking the controls on the Kenwood need cleaning.

But why drive the Kenwood with the Yamaha's pre-outs anyway? The RX-V995 has more power and lower distortion, though I suppose the Kenwood might have more perceived "punch", also IIRC it has meters for eye candy.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I'm driving 6 rooms of speakers with it. Low volume (lots of small kids) but the Yamaha is having a hard time driving them alone.

Reply to
OldSchool