TENMA products

I have a TENMA AC ammeter which has gotten only light use, but seems to be okay.

MCM has the 72-8155 LCR meter on sale for $40. I could use one, but wouldn't be using it often enough to justify something more expensive. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with TENMA stuff?

One of MCM's reviewers -- who otherwise liked this product -- complained that the inductance measurements were made at 1kHz. Because the unit measures the inductor's /impedance/ and /resistance/, then /calculates/ its reactance, there are potential accuracy problems when the resistance and impedance are of comparable magnitude.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I have a TENMA AC ammeter which has gotten only light use, but seems to be okay.

MCM has the 72-8155 LCR meter on sale for $40. I could use one, but wouldn't be using it often enough to justify something more expensive. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with TENMA stuff?

One of MCM's reviewers -- who otherwise liked this product -- complained that the inductance measurements were made at 1kHz. Because the unit measures the inductor's /impedance/ and /resistance/, then /calculates/ its reactance, there are potential accuracy problems when the resistance and impedance are of comparable magnitude.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

If there product fails, they will not fix it or sell you parts.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Where "there"?

Since there obviously lacking, their ought to be continuing education classes where the poorly educated can improve they're language skills.

Reply to
Lanzo Prazole

It's not at all clear to me if Tenma makes their own stuff, or if they are just rebranding other peoples things. Maybe both. In any case the quality of one product may have nothing to do with another.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

MCM has a 365-day warranty.

William Sommerwerck

I think Tenma is just a name. See the post about the "hung chang" scope or whatever. I got one of thoise and really, it's not bad. It's only a 20 Mhz but it is fine for general audio work. It triggers OK and there are no funk y abberations in its operation or anyhting. It is at least as good as the B & K.

I also have their soldering station, you would probably would recognize it under several brand names as well. Hey, it works and is works well. Sooner or later I'll have to get a Hakko or something, but for now this is just fi ne.

If the price is right, and they accept returns, what's to lose ? Somewhere you should be able to find some precision caps and coils to test. If the th ing reads within reason, there is no reason to be picky about where it is b uilt. them days are over.

(mini rant section) the time to worry about where things are built was back in about 1978 or so . When people bought the Sanyon TV for $239 instead of the Zenith or RCA for $279, they spoke in the loudest voice possible to the manufacturers. Co st is King. The manufacturers responded and now none of these things are ma de domestically.

That forty bucks is what happened to the economy. (/mini rant section)

With the cost of what we have to service dropping, cheap test equipment is a good thing - for the bottom line.

I see how using 1 Khz could be not quite optimum for these measurements. De pends on the range. For RF coils, and caps down in the low PF range, I can see problems. But then if you kmnow the limitations and the pricce is right - go for it.

If you can play with it for a month and send it back, I say you got nothing to lose.

Reply to
jurb6006

I have some precision inductors, and I intended to do just that.

True. Of course, when the shipping charges are comparable to the item's price...

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Where "there"?

Since there obviously lacking, their ought to be continuing education classes where the poorly educated can improve they're language skills.

Oh my GOD!, I made a spelling mistake, I used the wrong "their", how horrible! Thank you asshole for pointing out my mistake, I am sure we will all benefit from it.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

I always assumed tenma was some house brand from MCM electronics, but I noticed Newark sells their stuff too now.

Nothing will top the weirdness of when I think it was Allied Electronics selling stuff from Radio Shack in their catalog.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Here's the trademark information about Tenma:

Tenma trademark owners:

Premier Farnell Corp.

7061 E.Pleasant Valley Road Independence, Oh 44131 US

Premier Industrial Corporation

4500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland, Oh 44103 US

Turns out Premier Farnell owns MCM Electronics:

Ken Layton

At one time, Tandy owned both Allied and Radio Shack.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

But short lived. It seemed like about the time they'd finished getting the stationary and everything to reflect the change, they were told they couldn't actually be together, so Tandy had to sell off Allied.

You got it right though. When this has come up before, people make the assumption that Allied bought Radio Shack, from the name.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

If it's a 1 KHz square wave the harmonics go way higher. Just off the top of my bald head...

Reply to
dave

The reactance of an inductor or capacitor is assumed to be a value for a single frequency.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck