TENMA 72-8155 LCR meter

Please ignore the other posting. I didn't have my glasses on, and got the model number wrong,

MCM had this on sale for $40. In the middle of Advent Speaker restoration, and not having an inductance meter, I splurged.

I was frankly surprised, especially after reading a (basically favorable) review in which the reviewer made the not-unreasonable complaint that the test frequency was too low. (The unit measures the inductor's impedance, then mathematically removes its resistance. The higher the frequency, the less effect errors in the resistance reading have.)

I measured two precision Alpha-Core air-core inductors I'd bought for the Advent. The test leads measured 4 to 5 uH. After subtracting the test leads' inductance...

The 0.47mH inductor measured 0.475mH.

The 1.5mH inductor measured 1.527mH.

The spec'd accuracy on the 2mH range is 2%, +/- 8 digits. So (assuming Alpha-Core has much-better meters), that's not bad.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

-- unknown

Reply to
William Sommerwerck