Tatung Monitor

I have a Tatung TCM-1002 monitor. When turned on a green light by the power switch flashes but no picture. If I hold hair dryer on one corner of smaller circuit board it comes on and stays on. Any ideas?

Reply to
Wayne Fitzner

Are there any electrolytic capacitors in that area, and is it the power supply section? Electrolytic capacitors are notorious for causing this sort of problem.

Let the monitor cool and heat each component in the area with the tip of a soldering iron, taking care not to damage them. Try and power it on between times. That should help you pinpoint the offending part.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

cracked solder joint. get your mag glass out and iron..

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Reply to
Wayne Fitzner

Well done :-)

You may find other capacitors will fail soon, but at least you know what to look for next time and they are very cheap components to replace..

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

PMFBI, but I found this thread pretty interesting. Are you saying that the 'lytics in this set are notorious, or of this brand, or in general?

What is it about an electrolytic that would make it fail at room temperature but work OK when hot? I thought the can-types were just a couple of long sheets of aluminum foil w/ an insulator between? Thanks.

Reply to
Mr. Land

In general they're a common failure, for a while it was really bad due to counterfeit electrolyte circulating.

I don't know why, but that's the usual failure mode, they dry up and the ESR increases. Cold temperature also causes it to increase so they tend to act up first when cold, then they dry up further and don't work anymore at all.

Reply to
James Sweet

Electrolytics are IME the least reliable component in general, particularly in switchmode power supplies. Any 'strange' fault qualifies for close attention to electrolytics IMO.

With an electrolyte paste.

Maybe the electrolyte partially dries up and the heating process temporarily reactivates and/or redistributes it, but that is a pure guess on my part.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D