Surface Mount Resistor blows-

Hello- let me thank anyone in advance for helping me with my problem- My electronics knowledge, is very limted, so I apologize in advance. I have a circuit board which has a surface mount resistor mounted between the +12v and a small capacitor. The resistor burns out after about 15 minutes of use. The board goes into a video game/redemption machine that has several (7) DC motors as well as display LEd's and other lights, etc.

When I started repairing this game- I noticed the resistor appeared burnt. I sent the board of for repair from one of our distributors. (BTW the resistor is not marked, so I don't know the rating-nor do I have schematics) The board was returned, and game play was fine for about 15 minutes. Then the game went dead again.

I'm currently metering the power supply, with no load it shows a steady

11.54 VDC, when I put a small motor on it , the power drops to around 11.41 VDC.

Is it possible the power supply is causing this resistor to burn? If not, what should I look for?

If anyone cares to help, please do!

I would appreciate a response to my Email @ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, or I will check back here occasionally.

I will gladly send someone a few bucks if they help me fix this problem!

Thanks- ~Ron

Reply to
stfron

Did you measure the resistor value when the board was returned? How many volts did it drop?

NSM

Hi Ron,

Just out of professional curiosity, What game is this?

Wes.

Wes.

The game is called "El Dorado" by Eolith, it's pretty obscure, and ours came all the way from the UK.

Regarding measuring the resistor- Duh..NO, I guess I was so excited to get the game back up that I didn't think of that.

Reply to
stfron

OK- *UPDATE* I found a few bare waires on an opto sensor that counts coins as they come out of the coin hopper- My theory, and you can help confirm or deny, is that as the tokens are coming out of the hopper, they *may* have shorthed these bare wires on the sensor. IF this is true, (The sensor is +5v), could it cause the resistor to burn?

Reply to
stfron

OK- How about this, any idea what rating fuse I could put on the power input to protect the resistor while I troubleshoot?

Reply to
stfron