Sony Vega LCD bigscreen 6 red flashes - fix

Hi. Here is a fix for you if you haven't seen it before. I know the pros have so this might help some of the smaller shops that don't get these big Sony lcd sets every day. This fixes the Sony Grand Vega lcd. I don't remember the exact model number but should cover many of them.

Symptom is this - push power button and it begins flashing red. 6 times. You can repeat and recount if need be. 6 red flashes.

What the problem is - the light bulb temp sensor is open. This causes this symptom.

How to fix - order new one from Sony. About 5 dollars. I try and keep in stock a couple. It is a totally different design. The old one looks like a microwave or dryer heat sensor. The new version is a tiny little thing attached to 2 wires, which have protective covers over the wires, which may have a higher heat setting. I have heard the originals were set too low.

Changing is easy. You will need to remove the back cover, then remove the rear fan and duct assembly. Get down low and you will see the sensor on a plastic cover under the light bulb. Cooling air flows across bulb then down to the sensor and on to fan. To remove the sensor, I used a medium size Phillips screwdriver insert, 1 inch long, with 1/4 inch hex drive design, and a 1/4 inch open end wrench. This allows access to mounting screws, but it is still a tight fit. Find a comfortable laying position before removing the sensor to avoid a cramp. Remove the 2 screws and the old sensor. Follow wire to board where plugged in, and disconnect. Verify bad, open.

Take your new sensor, that you verified good, closed short, when you got it from Sony. It will not bolt down like old sensor did, as it is tiny and has no mounting holes. What I do is take a 1/2 inch fender washer, put one screw through washer and start into right side mounting hole. Hold washer up and feed sensor wires with protective covering under the washer. Tighten screw to fairly snug but not too tight, as to avoid pinching these wires. Plug into board where old sensor was plugged in. Put fan and duct group back in. Hang back cover with a couple of screws, plug it in and try it. Should work fine. A green power light is a good sign. While it warms up, make sure rear fan blows air out. Picture should show up shortly and you are back in business.

I have heard of some people using double sided tape and sticking new sensor to the old one. I haven't tried that.

I hope this information is helpful to someone out here.

Danny

Reply to
<djnoble35209

ray13

Reply to
Art

I find that they can be very useful. If you understand the way they work they can save a lot of time in troubleshooting. They are not a substitute for understanding the circuit and making the right observations, measurement, and analysis...just one more piece of information. A scope ani't worth a hill of beans either if you don't know how to use it or if you expect it to do all of the work for you.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 570 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet