Sony RM-U100

I started using my old Sony STR-AV910 receiver after it had been stored for a year or two. Everything worked except the remote. One battery was in pretty good shape, but the other showed only 0.8 volts. However, neither battery was leaking. I installed new batteries, but still no output. I tried removing and reinstalling the batteries a few times and finally gave up. (I did learn that, unlike my old iPhone, my newer iPhone has an IR filter on its camera, though).

Anyway, I went to 800-remote's web site and saw I could buy a refurbished unit. However, if the problem was caused by dried up caps, a refurbished unit of the same age might fail soon. While thinking about it, I noticed a "fix it yourself" link on their site. I clicked on it and was instructed to remove the batteries, press every button once, repeat for every setting of the two slide switched and then reinsert the batteries. I was very skeptical, but sure enough, it works fine now. I can only guess, it needed to be fully reset and pressing the buttons fully shorted any charge remaining on high impedance input lines of the ic. Any other thoughts on why that procedure fixed it? They claim it fixes 1 in 3 failed remotes.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

Maybe one of the buttons or switches was stuck on, or had some goop (beverage, etc) shorting the contacts, and operating the buttons cleared it? I've seen a remote where a button could be stuck on, but it was hard to tell by inspection that it was lower than the adjacent buttons.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Probably insulating black CuS corrossion on the slide switches, corrossion under a key would not stop the unit as a whole from operating. Daily or regular use keeps that corrossion at bay, by the wiping action of the phosphor bronze sliding contacts. At least the corrossion product of silver plating is conductive and of course gold plating does not corrode in normal circumstances.

Reply to
N_Cook

Seen it many times with many brands. Alway recommend the customer try this before replacing the remote. Don't need to press all buttons, 2 or 3 will do.

The chip inside just seems to get locked up.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias