SONY EV-S550 8mm VCR Tuner Fault

Picked this up about 6 months ago to transfer my 8MM tapes to DVD. Not sure now if I tried out the tuner with cable input or not... Anyway, passthrough is OK, but when set to VCR, the audio is stripped, and the picture does the following on any channel:

-breaks up and rolls every 1 sec, for about 1 sec. then stabilizes and the channel locks in. Picture is perfect-still no audio This repeats rhythmically every 1- 1.5 seconds The VCR is set to CATV and the channels programmed properly. I have swapped cables- no change The VCR section and VCR output is perfect. I have the user manual- and tried all the switch adjustments- Did the tuner take a dump? TIA JR

JR North