Question - CD changer alignment

Is it difficult to align a cd changer? I have an older Denon DCM 440 cd changer (5 disc tray) that needs alignment. If I can I like to try and fix things myself and if I screw up it is no big loss in this case. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Fred

What makes you think it needs alignment?

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Hi, When playing a cd, it "skips" forward through the cd and the lens has been cleaned with no effect. It only plays a few seconds of each song here and there. I was told at a repair shop that it likely needs to be aligned. If it was a simple enough repair I figured I would try it. Thanks

Reply to
Fred

If it needed alignment, why didn't the shop do it?

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Lots of problems like this are fixed with routine maintenance, such as cleaning - lubricating sled rails, gears, sliders, the spindle motor shaft, etc.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

P.S.

I just got through with a similar reply and decided I should have elaborated on this one a bit better. Here's the reply to the other guy - mostly it would apply here as well.

"Cleaning discs are a waste of time and money. A proper cleaning and routine maintenance will very often fix problems like this.

The lens cleaning is easy - one just takes 2 cotton swabs, fluff up the ends a bit. Have one moistened but not dripping with window cleaner or isopropyl alcohol. GENTLY clean the lens with the damp one using a rolling motion, follow with the other to catch any residue.

A small drop of light oil at the spindle motor shaft (use the dry end of a swab to remove any excess) is a good idea.

Other gears and sliding surfaces can be cleaned and re-greased.

Your player could have other problems - a bad or marginal motor for example, but many pickups are replaced unnecessarily, and circuit adjustments will usually only partially compensate for what is really wrong. For example, adjusting the tracking gain might somewhat compensate for a lubrication problem involving the sled assembly. For this reason, adjustments should usually only be attempted by a technician with a service manual in hand, or at least with a knowledgeable technique."

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias