Parts value for Sony KPR53EX20

We just moved into a smaller place and are looking to sell our Sony

53" rear-projection TV. It's a 1990 model and is in perfect working condition (we just had the boards resoldered a few months ago), but it's taking up half of our new living room.

Looking at ads for similar sets for sale we're seeing a huge range of prices, from $400 to ~$1200, and we're wondering what the parts value of this set is.

Thanks,

Mike Foss.

Reply to
Mike Foss

Well for a TV that's 15 yrs old you get what you can for it... but don't expect to get between 400 and 1200.

Reply to
kip

Thanks, that was completely unhelpful.

Actual answers appreciated.

Reply to
Mike Foss

Believe it..!! Now for parts, again you get what you can for it. It might not be the answers you are looking for but do you honestly think its worth $400 to $1200 ?

kip

Reply to
kip

Feel lucky if you can get $200 for a set this age.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

$200 is definitely the top end that should be asked for a 15 year old RPTV of any kind. It is not HDTV compatible and with 15 years age on the picture tube I am sure it is not working perfect and like new.

Reply to
dkuhajda

If we part out the set, you're saying $200 tops? Just the fresnel which is in perfect shape sells for almost double that.

Reply to
Mike Foss

Who exactly would you part the set out to? Odds of finding someone with the same model needing a screen, or other major component, and willing to put much money into fixing it is slim, the set is 15 years old.

Working, $200 top money to sell it used. Non-working, it will cost you to have it thrown away but you might get lucky to have someone move it out for free.

Reply to
dkuhajda

I'd say around $400 assuming it is working perfectly and has excellent CRTs. If it's been used a lot, then it will be worth a lot less. The picture should be razor sharp with no burn in.

It will be worthless for parts unless you happen to find someone who needs a part from it at that time. Even then, used parts are worth a tiny fraction of new parts. No one will want to store a huge TV until they someday need a part from it. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Many thanks.

Reply to
Mike Foss

Who needs a fresnel for that set ???? Get realistic.. kip

Reply to
kip

Well, there may be some very useful parts in the set, including the fresnel. I have seen these sets with etching of the two screens in btween at the edges, presumably due to a combination of the glue, humidity, temperature and some contaminant, likely some mold or bacterial growth here in Gainesville. The problem with used parts, however, is storing them until you reach someone with a need. We pitch out most sets like this that are not worth repairing simply because the cost of storing the parts exceeds the value quite rapidly.

You can try to sell the boards to PTS or other rebuilders and list them in various forums for electronics, but don't expect to get much out of the parts even if you get very lucky and find someone who happens to need what you have. No one is going to want to spend very much to rebuild a set this age. If you do, you still need to deal with the transportation costs and packaging, which can be very significant for something like a screen.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I think that's high Andy.

I'd sell that TV in my store for $275 to $325 (depending on cosmetics) with a 1 year warranty (carry in) assuming it has near perfect CRTs. People will spend that much for a TV if the seller is confident enough to warrant it for a full year. For a private owner to sell, it's worth more like $200 considering the big risk to the buyer for an "as is" item.

Reply to
John-Del

Reply to
Mike Berger