solder won't come out of hole

When smt first started coming out, many of them were reusable and I had and old converted reflow toaster oven. Any boards I was trying to salvage smt parts on, I would switch on only the bottom heater to high and stick the board in there with a catch tray. Just keep tapping on the board top side with a metal wand so not to burn my fingers. This would knock off the components into the tray below and I could sort out the ones I wanted to keep.

I harvest lots of smt parts doing that but after some time when money wasn't so tight, I then started to buy more new parts and found that easier. I still have a converted reflow oven I use when I do hand batches of small items.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I fully agree that adding leaded solder (and using a touch of liquid flux) will make removal much easier.

I often carefully use a round toothpick during the heat application to clear a blocked hole when I don't feel like setting up the desoldering station.

I consider the RoHS regulations pointless for repairs, as repairs aren't manufacturing. If a tiny amount of lead would ever end up being an issue during recycling, then it's the recycler's problem (to me, same as some food left in a jar or the label on a recycled container).

If the disposal of the same tiny amount of lead would be an environmental problem, then the waste company should be sending the item to a recycler instead of dumping it in a pit.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I fully agree that adding leaded solder (and using a touch of liquid flux) will make removal much easier.

I often carefully use a round toothpick during the heat application to clear a blocked hole when I don't feel like setting up the desoldering station.

I consider the RoHS regulations pointless for repairs, as repairs aren't manufacturing. If a tiny amount of lead would ever end up being an issue during recycling,

***In the UK we still have miles of Roman lead water pipes buried in the ground, and many more miles of the stuff that wasn't dug up in the 60's due to misplaced planning documents. We also have plenty of roofs made of lead sheet that are lashed by rain and hail that runs down into the groundwater - although metal thieves nicking the lead off roofs are taking care of that.

***Lead was mined out of the ground in the first place - whoever thought up that paragraph in the directive was clearly dropped on their head many times when they were little!

Reply to
Ian Field

perfect=20

Also=20

space=20

Ian, lose the microshit live garbage and use a real news reader. It is similar to wearing appropriate clothes.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Ian, lose the microshit live garbage and use a real news reader. It is similar to wearing appropriate clothes.

***I've just installed Xananews which has halted with "pipeline out of sequence" error and refuses to load any messages in the group I've subscribed so far. ***Also installed Gravity - loads messages and indents correctly but the UI is an utter shambles!!!
Reply to
Ian Field

Hey, Ian, what's with the three asterisks? It makes you look like an Allison and a half. (*)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) Phil A. uses two asterisks.

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hey, Ian, what's with the three asterisks? It makes you look like an Allison and a half. (*)

### You have trouble reading!!!?

Reply to
Ian Field

"Ian Field" wrote in news:ACZOr.277712$ snipped-for-privacy@fx28.am:

XNews works well,and it's free. it's also simple,ideal for me!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Ian Field" wrote in news:ACZOr.277712$ snipped-for-privacy@fx28.am:

XNews works well,and it's free. it's also simple,ideal for me!

### that's what I always use for multipart binaries, but I can't get along with the UI for posting on text only groups.

Reply to
Ian Field

Microsloth removed prefixing quoted messages with "> " in Windoze Live Mail 15 last year. You can install earlier versions (WLM 2009, or WLM

2011) and you'll have proper quoting. This explains the situation:

with some additional notes on quoting in Outlook Express.

I would strongly recommend finding an alternative newsreader as your creative formatting is difficult to read, and makes little sense as you should be marking the quotes, not your added comments. I recommend Forte Agent 7 which does cost $29, but in my never humble opinion is worth it. 30 day demo to try it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Anothe vote for Xnews. It has a few minor quirks, but it's small & very fast.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

A cousin of mine lost her first child to lead *paint* poisoning in the 1960s (partly due to improper medical attention), but that infant would not have been injesting circuit board or plumbing parts.

Anti-lead regulations are just one more BOHICA, by my estimation.

The paint manufacturers came to the rescue with latex paint, which contained mercury in the early years.. maybe some of it still does.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?

Reply to
Ian Field

A cousin of mine lost her first child to lead *paint* poisoning in the 1960s (partly due to improper medical attention), but that infant would not have been injesting circuit board or plumbing parts.

Anti-lead regulations are just one more BOHICA, by my estimation.

The paint manufacturers came to the rescue with latex paint, which contained mercury in the early years.. maybe some of it still does.

-- Cheers, WB .............

###While I remain against RoHS-Pb-free, I agree with the ban on lead in paint. The removal of lead from petrol was also a pretty good idea - annual petrochem procurement of lead for TEL anti-detonation additive was in the hundreds of thousands of tons! - This ended up floating about in the atmosphere for us to breath along with all the other exhaust particulates. It also precipitated with rain onto agriculture and contaminated livestock.

The Brussels (braindead) suits just didn't understand the information put in front of them.

Reply to
Ian Field

Doesn't it look better to you?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Both quite readable, thanks. Just tweaking you a bit for the rather self-dramatizing look of setting off your pearls of wisdom with three splats. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Doesn't it look better to you?

### Pity the UI is F**king horrible!

Reply to
Ian Field

Mercury compounds, actually, which were present to suppress mildew and other forms of attack by micro-organisms.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Yes, much better.

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well you can get the source code and change it. I never looked at MS Liveshit, but I doubt it has a good UI especially for usenet.