silicone adhesive as electrical insulation?

sci.electronics.repair, rec.bicycles.tech

Leads from the cateye enduro's cyclocomputer body snapped off during an accident.

I tried soldering the new length of magnet pickup wires following the epoxy? block covering the pickup's connection pins molded into the computer's bar mount AND then Gooping the wire's solder connections to the bar mount at the epoxy block

Goop is silicone adhesive -

Question is does the goop silicone provide electrical insulation at this low voltage flow?

The computer stopped recording data after 3-4 miles.

If the Goop is a no go what adhesive is durable and adequate insulation? What are cateye bodies made of and what adhesive works best there?

Reply to
datakoll

Any silicone (RTV) that I've worked with is a good insulator when fully cured. I wouldn't be surprised if it is somewhat conductive before it is cured, but I never checked. I never apply voltage until it is fully cured.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Any silicone (RTV) that I've worked with is a good insulator when fully cured. I wouldn't be surprised if it is somewhat conductive before it is cured, but I never checked. I never apply voltage until it is fully cured.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Rtv need not be capitalized. Goop is not silicone to me. Its more like a plastic. I use the different Goops, including Shoe Goo, and I am not going to claim it has no reaction to conections, but I don't think I have seen problems. If Goop is used in the sun, it should contain UV inhibitors like Marine Goop has. Goop is one of the strongest glues, but retains some flex. It takes several days for full cure. Silicone shuld have no conductivity, allthough it is not a vapor block, where Goop may have a good vapor lock. Electrical connections should be painted with enamel before applying silicone.

greg

Reply to
GregS

By the way, I have applied HV before curing. it does well, but its probably better when fully curred.Thats the Type I silicone.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Standard GE RTV silicone contains acetic acid which can cause corrosion. They do make an electronic grade that is safe to use.

I once used standard RTV to cover the line voltage terminals on a power transformer. I plugged it in before it was fully cured. This caused a small explosion.which was more exciting than it was dangerous.

Reply to
jfeng

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:33:21 -0700, datakoll Has Frothed:

100% Silicon rubber adhesive will work great. I've used it many times where it came in contact with low and high voltages.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Wrong. Goop is a polypropylene/solvent adhesive.

Yes, nicely.

Look for solder joint failure or a subsequent wire failure elsewhere.

There is a brush-on electrical insulation coating available for this exact purpose. I've obtained it at Home Depot and Ace Hardware.

I don't know; you would have to ask them. I'd expect it to be a filled resin of some sort, but there are many candidates with varying charcteristics.

That will be entirely dependent upon the resin involved.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Werehatrack

Did you try Liquid Solder?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

wellll, i guess i'll do it over! "Wrong. Goop is a polypropylene/solvent adhesive. " does not goop write of goop as a silicone adhesive? long underwear from duofold is polypropylene, and excellent. thanks

Reply to
datakoll

[snip]

Dear Gloucester,

If we're talking about the stuff inside that keeps the body of a cateye nice and round, it's known as the vitreous humor:

Eye surgeons fear the escape of this vile jelly when removing a cloudy lens in a cat(aract) operation or any other surgery. "Losing vitreous" is worse than seeing an inflated tire start to creep off the rim at

120 psi--tubes, after all, can be replaced. So eye cutters try to keep the stuff pushed inside, where it belongs:

"Cataract surgery was once a much more invasive and hazardous procedure than it is today. Large incisions and intracapsular lens extractions were not uncommonly associated with significant vitreous bulging and even vitreous loss. The situation is well described in the words of Dr. Paul Honan (1), whose account of the development of the Honan balloon can be found elsewhere in this issue of OASIS. Suffice it to say that ocular compression was born of the fear of losing vitreous during cataract surgery with its attendant complications resulting in visual compromise or loss. That fear exists to this day, especially when large incisions are required, as in corneal transplant surgery and during the occasional ECCE."

As for repairing an ordinary cyclocomputer, the easiest solution is to stop by WalMart and get a new red $10 Schwinn cyclocomputer with a fresh battery and a trip meter that reads in increments of 0.001 miles.

See you around,

Duke of Cornwall

Reply to
carlfogel

My dear Duke:

Perhaps you may have mistaken the less useful orb (once removed from its rightful place) for the more enjoyable one:

Alas, once fractured, it is dashed difficult to heal with certainty through the employment of any glue made by mortal man, though the glass-blower's art might remold it somehow.

I am aghast! The mere concept of endorsing the use of a Red computer is anathema to any left-thinking cyclist, and there is no other kind with which it is permissible for those of good conscience to associate. And as has long been the case, the true gentleman will search long and hard to locate a computer whose figures are presented in the more seemly furlongs, a far more appropriate distance to use in judjing progress aboard something that is ridden astride a saddle, would you not agree? (Sadly, such devices seem in short supply, so a conversion table is often needed in order to make sense of the mundane indications available.) Yours,

Gloucester

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Werehatrack

I thought Goop was waterless hand cleaner:

Have you considered epoxy?

Silicone rubber (RTV) is a good electrical insulator, as demonstrated by the use of silicone rubber sheets as electrical insulators for power transistors. But silicone RTV that smells like vinegar before it cures can corrode metals, and if that's a concern, go to an auto parts store and get some RTV labelled as being safe for use with oxygen sensors.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I don't know, but one thing's for sure; you sound a lot more coherent than before the accident! Funny, usually it's the other way around. Glad to hear you are okay.

Doug

Reply to
doug.landau

wrote: If we're talking about the stuff inside that keeps the body of a cateye nice and round, it's known as the vitreous humor: (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Dear Carl, Your remark is vitreous humor humor. Jokes about glazed ceramics would be vitreous humor. Jokes about my first comment would be vitreous humor humor humor.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I use clear silicone caulk as insulation on high voltage wiring, I've tried it up to 30KV and it works great. Not sure about Goop but for low voltage virtually anything will work.

Reply to
James Sweet

stupid question # 428

if silicones insulate electrical wires then what are silicone spark plugs leads (wires)?

Reply to
datakoll

They're exactly what the name implies, spark plug leads with silicone insulation.

Reply to
James Sweet

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake thus:

The silicone is the insulator in them; the conductor is, usually, carbon-impregnated fiber of some kind (basically a big long resistor).

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)