Screwed by PartMiner again; Counterfeit Cypress SRAM CY7C199D-10VXI

Hello all,

We've received a reel of 1,000 SRAM parts from PartMiner that were deemed counterfeit by the folks at Cypress. Due to availability issues in March we were forced to buy from this broker, even though they've screwed us in the past with counterfeit parts and I've pleaded with them not to buy from them (or any broker) again. The failure rate of the chips at initial test is about 10%. The chips in question are 256kb async SRAMS marked:

CY7C199D-10VXI

0544 G 04 637944

After contacting Cypress, their response was:

"Based on the information (top marking) that you provided , our lot history verification showed that it is "not" a Cypress device. Please be guided that Cypress guarantees only parts that were bought from Cypress or authorized distributors. Attached is the official Cypress Broker Letter."

Reply to
JW

Well, geeze, you knew that PartMiner screwed you once, and you bought again? And who's fault was that?

Cypress is not even in the equation, and asking them to warranty counterfeit parts is not a sensible thing to do.

What did/does PartMiner say? You left that out of your post.

Reply to
PeterD

I wouldn't buy from one of those brokers just on principal, their search engine spam makes it very difficult to find info or vendors for a lot of parts.

Reply to
James Sweet

Our purchasing dept. I suppose. As I said above, I've always advocated against using brokers. BUT, when it comes down to shipping product or not shipping product, your choices kind of go away.

I said no such thing, did I? I merely went to them for assistance.

Still waiting on that one... I'll post back when I get the word.

Reply to
JW

As we can't be of much help with that, I'll wanted to say thank you for the warning at least. partm... wasn't that the guys who took data sheets from wherever they could and then, from one day to another in 2001, decided to charge big bucks just to get those sheets...?

Reply to
Stefan Huebner

I've been thinking lately, It may be better to drop back a bit like it was before the internet got as big as it is now. I like the idea of having parts data sheets of lets say TOS on CD in my hands. I do have some PDF's on CD for various venders how ever, I find it easier than wading through the google and spam every ...

"

Reply to
Jamie

Partminer bought the Cahnners Publishing 'CAPS' database for the scans. It was a very expensive service that was available to OEMs to locate information on all types of electronics components. At first, it was a free service from Partminer, then they stated charging for older datasheets, or anything else that wasn't easy to find. They have had the 'CAPS' database for about ten years, now.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to