Anyone else finding faults due to normal handling ?

Twice in 2 weeks, faults caused just by normal handling of kit, ie gripping at the edge to pick up the kit and pushing in some vital control component. Only an inch or so in from an edge so precisely where a thumb could go on picking up relatively heavy kit.

Previous was just an LED but was vital to use as not knowing what mode it was in. Again today , but this time an awkward to find a replacement and replace, on a double-sided board, sub-miniature 2 pole 3 way slide switch. So weak that the switch action was disrupted when pushed inwards with a thumb, leading to crackle on one channel.

So especially with this replacement adding a protruding physical guard at this switch and also at a similarly placed but functioning one. And previously a guard ring around that LED.

N_Cook

"N_Cook" wrote in news:g1m3s5$fic$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

Could there be excessive vibration during transportion weakening things and then a small bump breaking them?

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+spr@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

Stop buy chinese made crap! or at least buy something that will handle your thumbs!

"

Reply to
Jamie

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:27:02 +0100, "N_Cook" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Just about every battery compartment lid on any battery powered equipment ...

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

There are a few electronic devices with batteries that use a tab on one end and a screw on the other end, those covers seem to hold up ok.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I think that there are some newish regulations concerning battery covers. Certainly on toys, a lot seem to be held with a screw in addition to the normal moulded in clips. It`s probly to stop the little darhling eating the batteries.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Grrrr!!!! That damn little tab always breaks off,and the batteries fall out!! *sigh*

Reply to
PhattyMo

I've seen some large CRT TV sets, where if you set them down in a forward-tilted position (IOW set the front edge down first), the front of the plastic base breaks off. To me that's ridiculous, to require handling so carefully that one must set the unit down almost perfectly flat or something will break off....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Thats that wonderful chinese engineering and construction. ;-)

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I suspect most products manufactured in China are engineered in the US, Japan, or Europe. In fact, it pretty much goes without saying.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Probably 'construction', but the last time this happened to me, it was a Sony Trinitron 30(?)". I assume this was designed in Japan.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert