Samsung 47" Blown Convergence IC

I made the mistake of buying this Samsung HCN4727 to fix for resale, it had a blown convergence IC (STK392-040, I think) so I thought it was an easy fix. After replacing the IC, the set did work fine for the next week or so. After a total of about 20 hours of operation, the picture started getting jitters, and finally the same convergence IC failed again. I confirmed it by subbing with a known good (but lesser wattage type -010) IC. At this point I'm wondering if the replacement part was defective, or what if any underlying cause there could be. Nothing seems out of the ordinary, both IC's run at the same temperature and there are no other obvious problems (bad caps, solder, etc.). Just thought I'd get some advice before I put any more money into this stupid thing.

Reply to
Chris F.

Check the low value resistors in and around the IC circuits. A lot of times when the IC's blow it will take a few of those out. They are like

10 ohm @ 1/8 watt. Make damn sure you clean the heat sink off and use new thermal compound applied appropriately. And make sure you torque the chips down to the sink properly. I'm not sure of Samsung 47's being a convergence IC 'eater' but i might have read something to the effect.
Meat Plow