Router help revisited

Thanks so far for the replies. However it did not work.

I was going to respond last evening but I was confronted by a party of sorts, and just couldn't concentrate. Now I am in my own suite and all is quiet. On the hope that it would work, I fed the beast a Linux disk (MEPIS).

Now during bootup Linux tells you everything and I swear I saw something aboout a failure to initialize the network or something like that, and I thought I was sunk. I was starting to think that somehow the ROM in the NIC got corrupted, well, not really ROM, but maybe updateable firmware or something like that. This would not be the first time.

I have seen it happen more than once on older motherboards, and I think it happens when the filters start going. I know that is happening, I can hear noises out of the soundcard, like during harddrive activity.

So I was thinking I needed another NIC, but then here I am. I am on Linux in Mozilla and it is working. So the plot thickens ? I mean the fact that Linux can connect clears the hardware I would think, or does Linux have such better drivers or something that it can do that ? Or did it repair the problem on the fly ? I guess I'll find out when I boot back to Windows. Hmmmmmm.........if I boot back to Windows (lol).

No really, I want my Windows to work too, it has certain unusual features. For example I can watch a video, but with any other audio I choose. I can play as many songs I want at the same time. I can also play multiple videos. This came in real handy when I was the download monster of the town.

Anyway, I started a new thread because the other one was going down the list fast due to the spamming, the nike crap and all that.

I don't want to stay on Linux forever, actually I would like to have two PCs or a dual boot system. But I would still like the 98 to work on the internet.

So the main question at the moment is; Could some hidden adapter settings be screwed up but Linux is so much better it found it anyway, or is the problem been proven to be Windows. We know the hardware works, but what I am asking is it possible that the hardware will no longer work with Windows 98SE ?

There is one other thing, "Bob" mentioned DHCP. I found no such setting anywhere and I have been all over the place as far as I know. Is it possible that after the crash there is a component of Windows missing ?

Any file could be gone. The original error was "HIMEM.SYS" missing or corrupted. Nothing should ever write to that file so barring a harddrive failure which I doubt, it's those filters. I know I need another PC, and am looking for the fastest newest thing I can run 98 on. I'm thinking like a regular Athlon around a gigahertz. But that one is likely to have the exact same problem. If I have to go XP I'll just get a new one, I just don't want to do that.

Thank you,, but unfortunately I am still a bit lost. We know a few things that it isn't, just don't know what it is.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

The card works. Windows is f#cked up. surprise surprise.

Open up Start --> Control Panels --> System

Go to the Device Manager or Hardware tab (been a long time since I've worked with Win98).

Click the "+" next to Network Devices.

Your card may be there, it may not. It may be there with a yellow exclamation mark on it meaning it's not working for some reason (we've ruled out hardware problems). If it's there, highlight it, right-click it, and choose "properties". Look through the various tabs for a check-box called "disable in this hardware profile?" If it's checked, you've found your problem. Uncheck it and reboot. Treat yourself to a warm flat Diet Fresca for your prowess. If not, read on...

Highlight the card, and delete it. Yes, delete it. If any other network cards are there (I assume you only have the one), delete them all.

Now, highlight "my computer", the top of the hardware tree, right-click and choose "scan for hardware changes". This will force Windows to scan for Plug 'n Play devices which are connected.

It will find the network card and re-install the driver. Win98 MAY be smart enough to ask if you want to use the existing driver it's found in C:\Windows. Ansswer "yes". You may need to reboot after installation. The card CAN be activated without a reboot, but Windows is SO SO BAD (particularly the non-protected OS versions like Win95/98/ME) at anything, ANYTHING!, on the fly that it's probably worth it at this point to reboot.

Does it work? If yes, congratulate yourself with a trip to the drive-thru. If no, download the proper card driver from the vendor. Open up the device manager again, highlight your network card, right-click, and choose "properties". Somewhere on one of the tabs (Driver tab, maybe?) there will be an "update driver" radio button. Use it to point to the new driver.

Does it work now? If yes, go grab a cold beer and your ladyfriend and reward yourself. If not, read on...

Open up Control Panels --> Networking. If you see TCP/IP listed, highlight it and choose "remove" or "delete". yes, just do it. Now, whether you've just deleted it or it was never there to begin with, choose "Install", one of the buttons below the list of junk, or maybe beside it. Highlight "Protocol" and click "Add". Find Microsoft TCP/IP, highlight it, and click on "OK". You'll need your Win98 CD handy. It will re-install all (TCP/IP) networking components. Reboot.

If this doesn't work, go on eBay and buy a similar machine for $20 or less. Life is too short to go through this much trouble for an ancient machine with a bug-prone OS.

OR, buy a book which will teach you the BASICS about computer networking... TCP/IP and NetBIOS haven't changed in >15 years. You'll be more well-informed, happier, and if you choose to get another machine, transferring your old data will be a snap with your new skills and an ethernet crossover cable.

Good luck.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've seen the TCP/IP stack get corrupted beyond repair in 98. More than once. If it works in linux chances are the nic is fine.

Reply to
Meat Plow

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 06:49:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

If your machine stalls for a minute or so at bootup, and if it is configured to obtain an IP address automatically, then there is a chance that it is unable to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server. This server is usually your router.

With respect, you have written a lot, but provided little information.

What was the result of "ipconfig /all"?

Alternatively, go to Start -> Run and type ...

winipcfg /all

Select your NIC from the drop down box if necessary.

What did you see when you entered http://192.168.0.1 in Mozilla's address bar in Linux?

FWIW, here are some configuration pages from my D-Link DSL-302G modem/router:

You might try turning off your software firewall, if you have one.

That file has nothing to do with networking. Anyway it should be in your Windows folder, and you may find a copy in the Windows\Command folder.

To compare the two copies, type the following at a DOS prompt:

fc /b c:\windows\himem.sys c:\windows\command\himem.sys

Try reposting your question to microsoft.public.win98.networking.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar