Rotel RCD-855 Fix

Hello, all. I purchased the subject CDP about 20 years ago after reading a glowing review in stereophile mag. It has performed flawlessly until several days ago when it abruptly starting making some rattling noises and now refuses to read any CDs. An inserted disk spins for a few seconds then stops with a resulting steady red "error" indicator comes on and track number 1 not being displayed. Hitting the "play" or "scan" buttons will again cause the CD to spin but also doesn't bring up any tracks.

Googling around a bit I found others had similar issues with the unit and my problem could be a dirty lens (doesn't seem likely), weak/failed laser or some other component(s). Most of the Google info was from about 10 years ago.

Can anyone add anything further and does anyone know of a competent repair facility (preferably in the Wash DC metro area)? Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to

According to the service manual, this unit used a Philips CDM4 optics assembly. This may be an option for you. Shoot me am Email if you need the manual.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 06:59:28 -0500, "J.B. Wood" put finger to keyboard and composed:

ROTEL RCD-855 service manual:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

assembly. This may be an option for you. Shoot me am Email if you need the manual.

Thanks, Dan, and others for replying. I've got a .pdf of the service manual but I was hoping to hear from someone who actually has worked on this device or has had one recently put back into working order. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to
J.B. Wood

I have worked on these in the past. No major isues, just the typical types of problems. If cleaning the lens doesn't resolve the problem, the replac ements are still available and not too expensive either. Check the loading mechanism if you see/hear noise during the spinup. If the load cycle is n ot completed, there will be some rubbing that will not allow the CD to spin up correctly. If not fast enough on the spin-up, the unit will report an error too.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices