RF getting into my test equipment?

I presently have two old, (PRC77's for whoever may be familiar with these), ex military portable FM back pack radios on the bench that I'm checking ou t. These units tune 950 channels between 30 and 75 MHZ and output between o ne and two watts depending on frequency. Admittedly these circa 1968 radios are no longer very practical, but fun to put on six meters and bring to Ha m fests. The radios operate on 14.4 volt battery packs.

The old magnesium battery packs were dead so I removed the special connecto rs from them, soldered 9.0 foot 14 AWG. leads on them and connected these t o two bench power supplies. I was trying to measure the voltage and note th e current during transmit. I had my 265 set to the 60.0 volt range and conn ected at the power supply. The power supplies were both set to 14.0 volts a s noted on my meter. Every time I keyed the transmitter the meter reading dropped to slightly below zero. At first I thought that the power supplies might be current limiting but that didn't make sense because the squelch re mained open, clearly indicating the presence of a carrier on the scanner.

I tried a portable digital as well as my bench Fluke. The portable dropped to 4.80 volts and the fluke's power supply, (apparently) for whatever reaso n broke the squelch on my scanner, so I wasn't able to use that meter at al l. Interestingly the only meter that was "almost" impervious to the anomaly was my old RCA Senior Voltohmyst. The meter fluttered very slightly but re mained pretty steady. I seem to recall in the specs for that meter that the upper limit was something like 3.50MHZ.

Finally in desperation I connected my scope using a X1 probe up in place of the meter and confirmed the presence of an RF carrier superimposed on the DC level every time I keyed. I tried using "HF REJ" on the scope hoping tha t would eliminate the carrier but surprisingly it made no difference.

So I built a small PI filter comprised of two small chokes and a small capa citor, values unknown at this point. The configuration is as follows: Each lead of the scope is in series with a choke, then the cap is across the oth er side of the two chokes, and the line then goes to the radio, and then th e power supply.

This filter decreased the RF displayed on the scope considerably but when s witched over to the 265, not enough to effect the problem with it very much . However when this filter was placed ahead of the Senior Voltohmyst there were no anomalies present on it. Yay for old technology!

So this is not a huge problem. I don't mind using my RCA meter with my make shift filter to read this voltage. But then in theory to use my other equi pment such as the scope it would seem like I need to design a filter having a resonant frequency equal to every frequency I want to check. That's not very practical.

I woud reall appreciate any further thoughts on this. Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

Were you actually transmitting (through an antenna) during these tests?

If so, does the problem recur if you install a proper RF dummy load in place of the whip antenna?

My guess is that when you transmit through a whip, the whole chassis is going to be RF-hot (it's the "ground" or "counterpoise" side of the antenna system), and a lot of the RF is going to propagate back down the power cables. There's likely to be enough RF getting into the metering electronics (whether digital or analog) to cause rectification in diodes/transistors in the measurement circuitry... hence the rather bogus readings you're getting.

An old-style "hot wire" ammeter might be your best bet for evaluating DC current draw in this situation.

Reply to
Dave Platt

[...]

The 77's have a BNC jack on the top panel as well as a threaded mount for e ither a short or long whip antenna. At the time I had my watt meter connect ed to the BNC jack with a dummy load off the other side of that. However I did have the whips installed on both radios. I didn't want to key without a n antenna in place, but that probably wasn't necessary since I had the dumm y load on there. I'll repeat everything with the antennas removed and repor t back. Thanks. Lenny

captainvideo462009

I did QA testing on those at Cincinnati Electronics, in the '70s, after I got out of the US Army. The bench supplies we used for final testing only had 18" leads, and used remote sensing. Try wrapping the wire through some large ferrite torroids at the power supply, and at the radio. We had to do most of the testing in well shielded, RF tight screen rooms. That was a 1970 RCA design, a so called improvement on the PRC-25. It was built with obsolete Germanium transistors that we had to have Motorola make in large batches, and buy untested. They sent what they hoped were enough extras, for the fallout at incoming inspection. The subassembly work was done in Mexico, and required a lot of rework to meet specifications. I had real fun, reassembling one of the tuning gearboxes that an assembly worked took apart by mistake, as well as teaching them how to solder the audio output transformers to the circuit boards, for rework.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell