Replacing a power source on a Gateway computer

Hi, I am attempting to replace the power source on my Gateway computer. The computer is a desktop and is about 4 years old. I had help finding the correct part to order but am trying to replace it myself but don't know much about computers. I got the new power source into my computer but I'm having trouble getting all the cables reconnected correctly. Can anyone help me with this? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
c.lawry

Then get help replacing it

You should have asked before you removed the old one, someone for sure would have told you to write down or better still; take a pic of the old one's connections.

As I said before get someone to come and help you put it back. Or call gateway, or google your butt off and hope req

Reply to
reqluq

Charles Schuler

Reply to
c.lawry

Honestly replacing a power supply in a computer is not a difficult procedure. The only connector you have to worry about plugging in the wrong way is the one for the floppy drive, but it is simple enough to see if it is correct if you plug it in outside the case.

Just remember that every drive in your computer requires a power wire and the motherboard either needs 1 or 2 connectores which are difficult to plug in the wrong way.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

BE CAREFUL! Some of the power supplies are all too easy to connect incorrectly. If you don't know, look up the motherboard online, and cross check it with the power supply.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Well I guess thats definately true when it comes to the old AT power supplies. Even though it was easy to connect them backwards they were also really easy to remember which wire went where though. All you had to do was put the grounds in the middle.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy