replacing a rs485 transceiver chip

I am going to replace a transceiver chip on my preamp so it talks to my keypad which by the way has the same transceiver in it (max1843). Typically I have no trouble soldering but I am new at surface mount. I am willing to take shot at it. Whats best heat gun and solder paste or solder gun and solder?

bill13

This belongs in sci.electronics.repair.

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Ermm... MAX1483?

If you know it's dead and don't want to save the chip then just clip the legs and remove them one at a time: heat the pad/leg and lift off gently with tweezers.

Otherwise, your best bet is probably something like ChipQuik

if you want to save the chip. The stuff really works. There are instructions linked from their homepage.

When you install the new chip (after cleaning the pads), just get the legs soldered down to a light meniscus. A regular (small tip) iron should work. Use solder wick, if necessary, to remove any bridges.

has some good tutorials that may help build your confidence.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to