Repairing Lightning damage

Hi!

Since the AC adapter is still good, I think you'll find the damage is likely to be in the Ethernet portions of the router. Since most designs have the switch built into the main CPU, any damage to it is usually terminal.

I had a Microsoft access point that died in much the same way. There was a lightning storm going on outside and suddenly a bright spark flew from the router's insides. For the brightness of the flash, comparatively little damage was done to the PCB and no components were obviously blown out. It would still power up (warmth in the chips on the board, anyway) but no LEDs came on nor did the unit actually work.

The surge must have gone on a bit further, because it also damaged the NIC in an IBM PS/2 Model 95. The damage there was very strange. The computer powered itself off at the exact moment of the strike. It turned right back on and the NIC linked up but could not exchange any data.

I took the opportunity to upgrade to a new router, and chose one capable of running the alternative DD-WRT firmware after a few disappointments with many different name brands.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Because of its corrosive nature, ZnCl flux is not suitable for situations where any residue cannot be cleaned away, such as electronic work. Lead free solder is in wide use so it's likely to be the case. No matter what, unless you have skills and temperature controlled irons, lead free solder is a bitch. I would rework it with SN63 for the repair. I don't think that is legal if you are a pro or a manufacturer with cradle to grave liability.

Most ISPs offer free or low cost wireless routers. Check what yours is offering. I am using a $1,500.00 Intel Switch as a shelf today a the D- link that replaced it is 10 times as fast, has more ports and cost about $50.00.

Check the caps and see what you find. Order new routers as it does not pay to hamstring your entire network and your connectivity over this amount of money.

Tom

innews: snipped-for-privacy@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

quoted text -

Reply to
TMI

yes, just as i would. i always make attempt to fix first. it is fun learning so much stuff about so much stuff!

get u self a printed version of Digikey corporation electronic parts catalog. have fun finding all the incredible stuuf that is used in all the stuff today.

since my college time in 1970, i just cant keep up with the field!

worse yet, my eyes are starting to crap out! so make the best use of your time amigo!

Reply to
HapticZ

Or if refering to switches, Open and Closed. Just think of the old blade switches if it is closed it would be pushed down making the circuit connect. If it were open it would have an air gap between the two contacts.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Do yourself a favor: throw it in the trash and get another router, they are cheap and disposable like inkjet printers. Unless you have so much time on your hands that you'll spend $500 in labor to fix a $40 router...

I opened up a fried D-Link router once. Once. It was one large proprietary IC and a handful of sMC passive components. I replaced about 5 or 6 wireless cheap-o-deluxe routers, one about every 6 months, in my office before I was beaten into submission and bought a $400 Cisco unit which has since performed flawlessly for 2-1/2 years. Consumer-level networking hardware is C-R-A-P from the design to the final assembly in some Cambodian sweatshop. that's why Cisco, of whom LinkSys is a wholly-owned subsidiary, won't brand LinkSys s**te with the Cisco logo.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote in news:qRyii.21277$tB5.20513@edtnps90:

*trim*

I opened up the REALLY cheap one (airlink)... NOTHING's labeled at all in it. I won't even attempt to touch that one.

I thought I might have some experience to gain with the Zonet one, though.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper