Reliablest cars

Hi all,

Say I wanted to buy the most reliable new compact car on the market
right now, the one least likely to ever break down on me in the
future, what would it be?

cheers,

MS

Re: Reliablest cars

A 1965 Chevrolet 1/2 ton 6' bed pickup truck.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Reliablest cars

They don't salt the roads in the winter there?

John ;-#)#

Re: Reliablest cars
snipped-for-privacy@att.net says...

I think that could only be made "compact" by a crusher!

Mike.

Re: Reliablest cars

I've owned a Toyota pickup truck (18R engine), Corolla, Celica, an 89
Acura Integra, and I'm driving a 2001 Civic Ex. I thought they were all
great: reliable, low smog, good power and mileage, decent handling, low
maintenance, no surprises or egregious design flaws, and I could do most
of the work on them myself. I guess I would say Honda or Acura, and then
Toyota coming in a very close second.

Re: Reliablest cars
How high is "UP"?

About any vehicle above a minimum standard will last, effectively forever with proper maintenance and appropriate driving techniques.

As you are specifying current production by implication, and are not focused just on cost, I suggest you start with the Toyota Prius family, then look at various of the Hyundai family.

All of which get good reports, and Hyundai has its very long warranty.

Then, there is the entire Subaru family - if AWD is an attractant.

With proper care-and-feeding, you should get a reliable 200,000 miles (322,000 km) out of any of them.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Reliablest cars

Well, we had several "US label" cars that needed a lot of work, both under
warranty and after warranty expiration.  Stuff like engine block water
leaks, AC constantly leaking refrigerant, $3000 transmission overhauls, and
on and on, even before reaching 100K miles.

Our Toyota and Honda vehicles have run well over 100K with almost no repairs
other than tires, brakes, batteries, windshield wipers and such.

Our 2000 Toyota van with 250K miles has had a new starter and recently a new
radiator, but I think that was due to a deer collision.

My 1989 Toyota Corolla wagon ran 160K miles with only a starter at 136K, but
was finally retired after 2 collisions.

My current driver is a Honda Civic hybrid with 160K miles, still running
like new.  ZERO maintenance outside the scheduled stuff, except when the
damn mice chewed the wires under the hood.  That's 11+ years old.

Jon

Re: Reliablest cars
systems.com says...

Some vehicles have known major problems.  Like my son had a Nissan
Rouge.  The transmission went out at around 135,000 miles and cost him
$ 4000 to replace.  Turns out that transmission was known to go bad in
many of them and the company had extended the warrenty to 120,000 miles.
That did not help my son.

I have only bought Toyotas for the last 30 years.  Other than normal
wear items like brakes and tires and batteries and scheduled maintence
my 1991 needed a $ 500 sensor at 130,000 miles.  Sold it off at slightly
over 190,000 miles with no other problems.

I would never buy anything but a Toyota or Honda unless I needed a full
size truck or some other thing they did not make.
I have had reports that KIA is also good,but not sure.

Re: Reliablest cars

My 1994 Mercury Villager soccer-mom/dad van has almost 300K kms on the
odometer, no major engine work that I know of, but I bought it used
about ten years ago....

Mind you one of the engine mounts has split.

John :-#)#

Re: Reliablest cars

I've had fantastic luck with Toyota and Honda.  I am driving a Honda Civic
hybrid now with over 160K miles on it.  Other than standard maintenance, the
only thing needing service was the hybrid battery, covered under
manufacturer's warranty.

We are still running our 2000 Toyota Sienna van with 250K miles.  The
plastic door handles are crumbling, and new old stock replacement handles
can be had, but they are also deteriorated, so there's no point in it.
The only service on that one, other than normal stuff (tires, brakes,
battery) is a radiator that I can chalk up to a deer collision years before.

Before that, I had a Toyota Corolla stick shift station wagon that I kept
for 19 years!  I got at least 160K miles out of that one, and it was still
running after 2 accidents, when we decided to retire it.

Jon

Re: Reliablest cars

Is "reliablest" even a word?

Re: Reliablest cars

How is the Lada doing these days? I recall when everyone was talking
about the little Russian car...

John ;-#)#

Re: Reliablest cars

When I was in Iceland in 2000, there were quite a few Ladas on the
road plus Lada Nivas (a sturdy 4 wheel drive jeep-like vehicle.) A
documentarian,who filmed on the country's glaciers, claimed they were
far more reliable than Jeeps.

Re: Reliablest cars

Is any of this even OT?

Re: Reliablest cars
[snip]

These new folk, perhaps?

https://www.axios.com/kandi-model-k27-electric-vehicles-china-090479d8-5fe4-4d58-b842-06b40cb89732.html
Re: Reliablest cars

It would be for oldtubeguy.
But he'd have to find a pair of shoelaces first.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Only in N. America - the country that invented the ghastly "normalcy"
in place of *normality* for no compelling reason whatsoever.

Re: Reliablest cars
snipped-for-privacy@notformail.com says...

Or, my favourite, "burglarised"!

Mike.

Re: Reliablest cars
On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 06:06:05 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Wow! So *that* was how the Americans were able to overtake the British
economically over the course of the 1920s? Astounding!

Site Timeline