Recycling an Auto Electric Fuel Pump

Am thinking of using a auto electric fuel pump for portable gasoline transfer.

Did some searching and seems workable.

Question: normally an auto electric fuel pumps run from a relay circuit. Am wondering if the fuel pump can be run directly (no relay) from a 12 Volt battery. Maybe it would be smart to have a correct size fuse in circuit in case something shorted out. Also add that the pump would be used only for a few seconds at a time.

Gene

Reply to
genosmm

Hi Gene...

Personally I'd be scared stiff even thinking about it.

Pour your gas, use the sparkless method :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

All the relay does is switch the pump on without the full current of the pump having to pass through the ECU or ignition box, whatever controls the pump. Anything that can be run with a relay will work just fine directly off the battery. A fuse is always a good idea, I'm not sure about the safety of the whole setup though, gasoline vapors are explosive, personally I'd pump it with a rubber hand bulb rather than mess with electricity around it.

Reply to
James Sweet

If you must use an electric pump, remember to have the switch far, far away from the pupmp and the gasoline.!!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks for the input everyone!

Agree that you can Not be too careful working around flammable liquids!

Reply to
genosmm

Thanks for the input everyone!

Agree that you can Not be too careful working around flammable liquids!

Gene

Reply to
genosmm

See "Darwin Awards"... :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

A few days ago the news from Denver showed that some one was drilling holes in bottom of auto gas tanks at airport parking lots. To steal gas. If they were using a battery operated drill (which has sparking brushes) they were living on luck. WW

Reply to
Warren Weber